We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Question:

I have an 18"x24" signed Blink 182 poster I just got and am having a tough time deciding how to frame it.

They make 18"x24" frames, but none matted. I really don't like the idea of these graphs touching the glass. 

Here are my current options:

1. No matte, just put in 18x24" frame and be done with it

2. Purchase custom .5"-1" matte for an existing 18x24 frame. (There is sufficient space on the sides of the poster so this would not interfere with the graphs)

3. Framing store mentioned "spacers" you can put in the frame which makes space between the poster/glass. (and of course they do not sell them...)

4. Pay probably $150+ to get it custom framed at Michael's and possibly include my guitar picks I caught/VIP badge within the frame... 

I'm worried that if I did the "custom frame job" they would have to tape the poster/picks/vip badge which I am NOT a fan of... 

*Any suggestions/tips at all would be appreciated... I've had this a few weeks now and really want it on my wall! 

*I also have quite a few 8x10s in normal frames that I am looking for a cheap solution to get some "space" between the photo and the glass. Any ideas? I really don't want to buy 20+ "matted frames", as those are typically quite large. I've even considered very small strips of cardboard, but I'm not sure if those would stick to the photo over time?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Tags: Framing, frame, poster, tips

Views: 9044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool, and glad Hobby Lobby was able to give you some great tips :)

-w

Hobby Lobby is great for do it yourself framing.  Nice selections for low prices.

Again, be careful with their own custom framing though.  I've brought in a few items, and the result has generally looked good.  But I had the photo in one replaced (James Stewart forgery) by a local family owned framing shop.  When they took out the matte, they found the Stewart photo had been pretty lazily taped to it by whoever the HL framer was. 

Sweet

I took your advice Ryan,  got 4 frames with matting today,  I went a little more on the frames for the one Mantle but the other frames were less than 10 bucks a piece.  Everything was 50% off.  Here are some pics. 

Wow looks great I LOVE that Mick 8x10 that has his card and the ball. That right there proves he knew EXACTLY where to sign to make a photo beautiful. Did you double matte Whitey? or did photo frame come with that matte?

And yeah, usually they always have 40-50% off one regular priced item, so there were times where I would stop by there after work each day and snag one frame, instead of buying 3-4 at once and only getting the 50% off of one... LOL. If you have a smartphone, you can get the coupons from their website and they can scan them right off your phone. 

I finished my Blink framing the other day. I took their advice and bought a 22x28" frame... I then purchased a 22x28 matte that I had a 18x24" hole cut into. (Hobby Lobby a custom matte was 12 bucks and they do it in 5 minutes... Michaels said it would be $55 and took a week to order.. WOW!). So I got this matte made, and when I got home I realized my poster fit right inside the "window" of the matte and wasn't lifted off the glass at all... FAIL. 

So I decided to go back and get a pink 22x28" matte with a 17x23" hole cut into it. This worked great, however since I "double matted" I could not close the clamps on the backside... FAIL.

Thus, I decided to just use the pink custom matte which was 22x28 with a 17x23" hole. NOTE TO SELF: don't get the matte the EXACT SIZE as the photo/poster or it will just fit perfectly into the "hole" and not be lifted from the glass at all!

Here is the result, I'm happy with it for now:

Sweet I have a Steven Jackson poster to someday get signed.  I will have to frame it prolly the same way.  Thanks man.  I did is all my self and saved a bunch of money. 

The Whitey is Double Matted.  Yes.

That looks great Ryan.

I have placed many of my 8x10 autographed photos into Ultra PRO Platinum Hologram Pages.  Should I not have done this?  They fit very nicely into an Avery Heavy-Duty View Binder purchased at Staples.

I think those are okay.  They don't have any PVC in them, as most hard plastic toploaders do (those can damage autographs and age photos).

I saw the recommendation in another thread to only use mylar sleeves for items signed in paint pen.

Thanks Rich.

Ryan, do you remember when you were a kid and your teacher told you to try to answer a multiple choice question before you looked at the choices provided?  Before I looked at your choices I already knew the answer to your question.  Bring your poster to Michaels Arts and Crafts and have it framed professionally.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service