We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Views: 772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This would be the right person to ask about these photos.   She was an assistant to Bette from 1979 on:

https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Me-Invincible-Bette-Davis/dp/0316507849

Indeed. They did a few interviews together as I recall.

Thanks for all your help.

I don’t really see much variation between the passport signature and most of these 1980s photo signatures. I am trying to figure out why it is thought by some that these 1980s photos are mostly secretarial? What should I be looking for? Is the Beckett example I found one of the few authentic exceptions or is that also probably secretarial? Trying to learn. Thanks. 

Well, to me, look at the "B's" (the starting hook in the OP is really odd), the way the two "e's" lay against each other, their shapes overall and the negative spaces, it is not in the passport but sometimes there is a subdued "v" shape between the two "t's", the size of the "s" in relation...Eddy will have more to say. I'm speaking off the cuff here.  There are examples where there are dedications with inscriptions and those would be easier to pin down I expect ("from" and "for" etc.). I have not done so. When I collected her it was in vintage form from 1950. The basics are there. Click for full image:

Thanks. Definitely helpful advice. 

Here's one that I like a lot from the the time period of the 80s:

Thanks. That’s extremely helpful and a good example from the 1980s to use for reference.

Bette with co-stars from HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE

(She gets top billing even here):

Now I can see the differences. I wonder when she signed authentic ttm, if it was randomly or only special requests. 

I really can't say.  It might be safer to try to acquire something that has been inscribed, as Eric mentioned.

This is an excellent example. The "snub nose B", the "avis", the handwriting, all of it. 

Thanks for all your help.

I only bought the Bette Davis because it was cheap ($30 total after shipping and fees). I can understand why it was cheap now. I think I will just keep it with my preprint/fake autograph collection (yes, I kind of collect “fake” autographs as long as they were originally obtained ttm. I still see it as something official from them and keep it as a separate form of memorabilia). 

If I can get an authentic Bette Davis for around $25 total then I would be interested but otherwise I have other autographs I want way more. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service