We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi:

At Steve Cyrkin's invitation, I'd like to call your attention to a signature study I've posted on my blog, Charlton Heston signature study by Steve Zarelli.

I believe I have identified the "tell" in Charlton Heston secretarial signatures, and if I am correct, the news is not good for most collectors. It appears that most  Heston signed photos are secretarially signed.

Here is a synopsis:

The Theory
Photographs and other memorabilia sent to Mr. Heston's office were signed by a secretary. However, Mr. Heston did authentically sign books through-the-mail.  

Real vs. Secretary
In authentic signatures, the R in "Charlton" is distinctly a lowercase "r" and less than half the height of the L. The first four letters are clearly "Char."

In secretarial signatures, the R looks much more like a lowercase "l" and is about the same height as the L. So, the first four letters appear to be "Chall."

I have attached two images to give you a small sampling.  

For more details and images, please visit my blog at the link below.

I'd love to hear your feedback and thoughts on this. I fully anticipate some resistance to the theory, because denial is always the first step. In fact, I would love to be proved wrong, because that would mean I wasn't sitting on a bunch of secretary signed photos!

By way of introduction, I have been collecting since the early 90s and I am the UACC Ethics Director.

I look forward to the discussion.

The Collecting Obsession

Regards,

Steve Zarelli

Tags: Charlton, Forgery, Heston, Secretary, authenticating, autograph, secretarial

Views: 25488

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

look up your invoice online under your account, then contact bob jones and request a refund or credit to a future purchase. 

you mean my picture?

its not ok?

that's correct - it is not okay.  it is a classic TTM signed secretarial.  Many dealers and "authenticators" were fooled as somehow the "secretarial" became a standard for an authentic signature.  Might have had alot to do with Jan Schray's exemplar book (circa 1997) although there were other contributors and most likely the source is one of those.

AW reimbursed me for a secretarial I purchased years ago.  Actually, I had them apply it to a recent "authentic" Heston that they had up a few weeks ago.  Either way - your's is not authentic.

oh no

i bought almost my entire collection from autograph world, i was told years ago by a couple of people that i could trust them.

i will look the invoice up and send them an email

how can i make sure the others are ok, without paying a lot of money.

one error of judgement does not mean the whole collection is bad.  AW is better than most but they can and do make errors in judgements.  Unlike many places they stand behind what they sell. 

there are alot of secretarial and forgery threads throughout AMLive (it's a great resource) and you can start sifting thru them.  I also consolidated a number of threads in a secretarial one as well.  You can also start a thread asking for opinions on your AW Collection and see if there is anyone out here willing to opine on them.

ok thank you

if i have the time i will

i also bought a photo lot from them, incl i photo from heston.

That Heston is not good as well.  Again, read the threads and if you don't find helpful information START a NEW THread (this thread is just for Heston).

yes ok

i,m getting errors on both email accounts, jones and bardwell

known problem?

anything is possible with technology these days.  If you are using this; jones@autographworld.com and getting an error then there might be something up on their end.  If that's the case might need to wait a day or so and see if it straightens out.

i had contact with jones and he asked me to send them back.

for a refund.

so thanks for the advice

by the way i have posted photo,s in my albums, take a look !

nice ones.

Came across this UACC registered dealer seems all her Hestons are secretarial

http://cyndi.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&page=3&cat=5

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service