Here's one I'd like to get an opinion on.  It's a Gable signature on a Laszlo Willinger photo from a movie called "Strange Cargo."  I've wondered about this one for a long time.  I sent a photo of the autograph in to AutographCOA some time back for an online opinion.  They said it was good.  I'd still like to have some of your thoughts about it.

There is some guy selling copies of this exact same photo on eBay for about $10. It's the same identical signature in exactly the same spot as this signature.  I've looked at this signature very closely under the lights.  This signature was signed with a pen.  I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen, Mike.ohotograph

Tags: Clark Gable

Views: 2705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup. I was just over there looking. I am not enamored with several items, POTP or other.

Alright guys, I threw my cards on the table yesterday when I published my store address.  If I were trying to hide something, I don't think I would have done that.  Do you?  Eric, you just wrote that you were not "enamoured" with several items.  That's fine.  Which ones, and why? 

That Davis is pulled.  

I also pulled the Gable, Crawford until a definative conclusion has been reached about it's authenticity.  I pulled a couple of others as well.  Although, I'm not convinced that the autographs are not authentic.

One note, the Lights-Camera-ActionUK Davis did not have a JSA COA.  But I do have a Fred Astaire that has a JSA COA.  The signed photo is as bogus a three dollar bill. 

I looked at your Astaire photo after you mentioned it and I agree with you, Mike.  This is not in his signature style:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134777557369?hash=item1f615e5179:g:vFAAAOS...

And for sale? 

I agree with Mike that, as he said, it's as bogus as a three dollar bill.  A really bad attempt at Astaire's signature.

Here's a good one to compare:

Hi  Guys,

First off, I pulled the Astaire, the Gables, Jimmy Stewart, and Ol' Bette.

And thanks for the legit Astaire autograph image.  I have another Fred Astaire that I bought almost 3 years ago.  I compared it to your image.  My old Astaire signature looks almost  identical.  I'm including my signature, so you can compare.  The Astaire autograph I pulled looks nothing like your example.  This one does.  I checked it very closely.  I think it's good.

Thanks, Patrick.

He had a beautiful flowy way of writing.  The one I pulled doesn't even come close to this one.  Thanks.

I reopened this discussion. Please leave it open. Important information is coming out. Thanks

No problem at all.  I tried to reopen it myself after I read your comment.  I didn't know how.  I closed it because I realized that I would never really know for sure until I had it examined in person by someone able to give a firm yes, or no.  We were just going back and forth.  There was lot's of interesting information coming out of the discussion.  There will probably be lots more.

I'm just amazed at how just how disorganized and just plain crooked so much of this industry is.  I realize that no industry is perfect.  But this one is one of the worst I've ever seen.  I do have some ideas that I think could make it a lot less chaotic, and corrupt, and a whole lot more trustworthy.

But, it's a lot like our government.  It's mostly broken because it benefits the people who broke it, and who benefit from it staying broken, which is mainly the crooks.   Take eBay.   Does anyone really believe that eBay could not clean up it's autograph selling act in a heartbeat if it really wanted to?  I can go on eBay right now a find ten forgery dealers in just a couple of minutes. The fact is: eBay can't find them because eBay doesn't want to find them.  Why doesn't eBay want to find them?  We both know why. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I just pulled $5000 worth of questionable autographs.  No big deal really.  It wasn't something that I made me jump for joy while I was doing it.  But I know it's the right thing to do.  I'll get the questionable ones fully examined by a qualified professional when my budget allows.  That is, if I can find a fully-qualified professional.  Til then, they'll sit, canned.  No biggie.  I have a few authenticated replacements to fill the holes.  Are all the big 3 authenticated ones genuine? The Lord only knows.

Anway, thanks Steve.

Mike

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service