We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Fake charity items from PSA Productions.....Jordan, Lebron, DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Aaron Rogers, etc.

I mentioned this here last year and nobody responded. There is a company here in Phoenix called Mountainside Fitness, to which I belong. They are again setting up a charity auction from a company called PSA Productions run by a guy, Jim Johnson (pretty sure that is his name). They set up inside the health club and have bidding sheets. Just about everything is fake, with the exception of a PSA Magic and Bird and a JSA Cincinnati Reds signed photo with Rose, Bench.

All of the fake items are certified by GA, yes, Steve Sipe. Everything is elaborately matted and framed to throw off any suspicion.

The banners at the tables all have large PSA lettering so it appears that PSA is the company offering the goods, when in fact it is someone taking advantage of the PSA name recognition.

I of course asked to speak with the general manager. No surprise, he isn't available. They offer me their corporate number, nobody answers and they ask you to leave a message. Again, no surprise, no return phone call. This really p***** me off. I went up to every person I saw looking at the items and warned them to not bid. My first inclination was to write "fake signature" on the bidding sheets. My daughter talked me out of it, because she thinks we will get kicked out.

They were offering Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Lebron James, Aaron Rogers, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, and Ted Williams. Just about every item was around $400 in the bidding.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about contacting the local newspaper, not really sure of anyone cares besides us. If you live in Arizona and have a Mountainside Fitness near you, go in and see if they have the same set up. Maybe if more people called to complain, they would do something.

Views: 6206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Checkmate!

They are all the same. It's like The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All ONE TEAM working to together

"Chris, I completely agree. I'm not even really sure who I am most upset with. The creeps that forge this crap? The jackass authenticators who legitimize it? The putz's who sell it? Or, the businesses who provide a place for all of this to come together?"

Lettuce not forget the moronic "DOPEY" buyers in the equation. They have Lettuce for brains! 

Yes, the buyers are partially to blame, but they do not know any better. I know that is hard for us to realize because we have a passion for autographs, but probably 90% of autographs bought on eBay are from people just looking for a cool gift or centerpiece for a man cave.

Now IMO I would think most people have at least have the slightest common sense to Google the "COA" and hopefully stumble upon one of our posts which would then make them think twice, but that is wishful thinking. 

If a Mom knows their son likes Mike Trout, and thinks "Hey, he would love a Mike Trout autograph!" she is just going to go on eBay, type in "Mike Trout Autograph", and snag whatever the best deal she can find is. She does not know any better, I know my Mom would not. And I don't think it would help calling my Mom a "moron" or a "wannabe collector". (And yes I am guilty of this, but I've tried to be nicer of late...LOL)

In these people's naive little world they haven't even begun to think that "Maybe people fake these?", it just doesn't cross their minds. Especially on stuff from GA who is an "eBay approved authenticator" (*coughs, farts*). These people have no idea, so who are they going to listen to: 1. eBay or 2. A few of us rambling on this website who really don't have any magical "credentials" for them to believe in. The choice is obvious, they are going to trust eBay, the globally huge company. The amount of fraud/scams we know about is so deep and disgusting that even when we do tell people about it, they think WE are crazy! That's how messed up this hobby currently is.

eBay is a cesspool of fake stuff in all sorts of departments. Tons of fake purses/watches/Jordan shoes/cards,etc. Autographs are a very small niche department in the grand scheme of things, and they treat it as such.

The ONLY solution IMHO is to educate people on a massive scale. There is a reason we were taught to "Look Both Ways" before crossing a street; it's because a bunch of people (morons LOL) who weren't taught that didn't do it and ended up in a bad situation. Even though something so simple seems like such "common sense" and that "everyone should know it", we were all still told that at one point. The same should apply to people buying autographs.

Somehow, someway we need to work together to educate people on the "Do's and Don'ts" of buying autographs. It would be ideal if eBay had some sort of "Tutorial" video or article that was REQUIRED to watch/read before purchasing autographs on eBay that would warn people about all of the junk that is out there. I am all open for ideas, and will help in any way I can. I do know this, we have a MUCH better chance of making a difference by educating and steering away buyers, than we do of deterring forgers. As we have seen, the forgers will do ANYTHING and WILL NOT STOP

/rant 

-Ryan

+1 Ryan

Absolutely, Fudd.

The dopey buyers are half the problem.

the buyers are creating the demand for this crap

I agree, Terrier.

Websites like AtAuction.com (John House, CEO) and Ubid.com (Bob Geras, CEO) have fueled the sales of this crap.

"the buyers are creating the demand for this crap"

Which is exactly my point, perhaps if they were more "aware" they would not be buying, thus helping the issue at hand.

It takes two to tango. Too many believe that "people" are basically honest. They are not, people are basically dishonest. Those who come to this understanding sooner than later save themselves a whole bunch of trouble, in whatever facet of life. Now, combine that with a lack of knowledge about a product/industry, and you have a multi-million dollar (or higher) illegal industry. Too many people, making too much money to put an end to it.

"It takes two to tango. Too many believe that "people" are basically honest. They are not, people are basically dishonest. Those who come to this understanding sooner than later save themselves a whole bunch of trouble, in whatever facet of life. Now, combine that with a lack of knowledge about a product/industry, and you have a multi-million dollar (or higher) illegal industry. Too many people, making too much money to put an end to it."

That's the way I grew up as well Steve, thinking "people are basically honest". Unfortunately, there has been a HUGE paradigm shift in that people are now "basically dishonest" & stupid as H-E double toothpick. Corporations will ram one where the sun don't shine if you're not careful. Uncle Sam wants his piece, the cops want theirs and everyone in between can't be trusted. That includes your wife. LOL...Unless she's signed a Pre-Nup, of course. Life is a minefield where someone is trying to get in your wallet ALL THE TIME. Ignorance is bliss. Why do you think E-bay put their hands up and embrace it. Face it, no one really gives a S***. It's every man for himself. Fudd says "Stay in School kids" and don't be a MORON. 

The news reporter has a good advocate with you Steve, I wish you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service