We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I was wondering how you all feel about adding inscribed items to your collection that are made out to someone other than yourself? Some of my favorite items are things I have picked up made out to other people. To me it gives you more of a sample of the persons writing. Do you think this adds or subtracts to the worth of the autograph?

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally would have in inscribed to me. I believe Autograph Magazine did an article about the value of inscribed items are compared to without the inscription. The item being looked at was a Babe Ruth signed ball and the value went down alot because no one really wants an autograph thats belongs to someone else. All of my autographs if they are inscribed, are to either me or someone in my family. Once its made out to someone, I feel that the autograph then belongs to them. I wouldnt want an autograph in my collection made out to James Green even if it was by Elvis himself! If your looking for something that gives a better sample of the person's writing, how about having them do something creative like quote a lyric or line from a film? I really enjoyed an article about having the celeb outline their hand or draw a self portrait. That way, its more personal from them and you get a better idea of their style.

-Andrew
On a Ruth ball Id like it inscribed.  The more writing the more words and the more mistakes a forger could make to expose themselves.
I kinda feel the same way, although having something inscribed to someone else is a bit awkward.  There is always the exception of it being inscribed to another celebrity/notable person, which I suppose could actually increase the value in some instances.
Inscribed for me, too. Not just for authentication purposes; I like it better period.
The other factor is how much I'm paying . . . if it's relatively cheap (i.e. comic con type signings), then I always get it inscribed.  The rather expensive Aaron Rodgers signing, I figured it would be hard to justify (to my wife) dropping a big chunk of cash for something I couldn't sell.  I had him write SB MVP and Heavyweight Champ instead.
Great question James. I meet a collector who was living in NY in the 1970's and would purchase as many pieces of anything (paper, photos, etc....) that John Lennon signed. She was able to collect 13ish things signed, with I believe 7ish of them purchased from other fans who nabbed John in Central Park (she got the rest herself). Fast foreward to the late 1990's when I last spoke to her and she is now living in L.A.. Having 13 signed items from John Lennon would fit in anyones collection, even if signed to anyone else (I know they would mine!!). ~~~ Further, in speaking to several auction houses over the years, inscriptions in certain cases, is even "more valuable" as it is more that the celeb signed on that item. As a collector, I very much prefer the celeb to inscribe every time. I also ask them to date the item (exact date), though most just put the year. It's funny, I take my kid(s) with me at times, then some celeb's ask the names of my kids and have inscribed their name in lieu of mine. I can live with that. However, to answer your question directly, outside of a deceased artist that I want in my collection, I rather stay away from signatures signed to someone I do not know as it takes away from the "personalness" of what is my collection. I think this is a case of "to each/his own". Again, great question.
i think that the few times an inscribed autograph 'would NOT' hurt the value of it would be items that are highly sought after and difficult to find/buy.

like Neil Armstrong; Marilyn Monroe; Lucille Ball; Presidents etc.
I avoid it and rather they don't sign it to me. I figure one day I'm going to die, my wife or nephew will sell them, maybe keep one or two, it might sound morbid, but realistic....I want them to enjoy what ever they want, so I educate them on how to sell my collectibles and keep notes or some sort of paperwork with all my stuff. A bit over the top probably, I can't tell you how many times I go to yard sales and such, people selling off stuff and not educating themselves before hand, it's very sad.....I bought a 67 Dodgers team signed ball about ten years ago at a yard sale, 20 dollars, didn't know at the time how old it was, just saw the Kofax, I felt so bad for the lady. I went back and told her it was worth more, what year it was. I'll never forget her, the look in her eye's, it was bad enough she was selling her husbands stuff, we ended up having coffee and talking...Ok, I'm getting off subject...sorry...
I personally would rather have them sign to me because it makes me feel like im a little closer to them as a person. But i'm not gonna turn down anything i find in a antique store, flea market, yard sale, auction . You get the idea . I dont like at book signings at the Mall of America you cant get it personalized because of the time and huge line . but its a sacrifice to get their signature
Sheldon, you make a good point about once you die the probable decrease of that inscribed item in the hands of next of kin trying to sell. However, at my house I have told my wife that if she tries to sell my stuff after I die, me and as many of my ghostly spirited friends that I can find will haunt her forever. Personally, with just a very few exceptions, inscriptions are part of my collection as much as possible.
Stephen,
Funny story, I was working under my Hot Rod one evening, it was on jack stands, which I hate, so I have my wife hang out when I'm doing it. She's about 3 beers in to the night and starts giggling, then asks, "Hey How much did the welder cost and how much were the rims", I rolled out from under the car with a strange look, she's just laughing. Ok screwball, what's going on, she goes, I should know how much all this is for the yard sale! That's how we started discussing the importance of her really knowing what stuff is and how to sell it. And not letting people take advantage of a widow...
I personally do not like inscriptions, and I know for a fact that inscribed items are less valuable than regular signed items - especially items signed by people that are still living. The only exception is with extremely rare and valuable signed items. Having more of the celebrities handwriting on an item can help to increase the value. But, these are very rare circumstances.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service