We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hello, and thank you beforehand for helping answer my question.  I love to collect Mickey Mantle items but I do need coaching in how to spot fakes.  what do you guys think of this Mantle signature on a recent Ebay auction?  Thank you!

Link and item number below incase the link doesnt work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190593098972?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_...

Item number:190593098972

Tags: mantle, mickey

Views: 2486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think its good...but the auto is a bit faded and the seller is only showing a portion of the last name in the picture...even though faded and not the full last name in the pic...I think it looks good in my opinion... 

Here are common Mantle Forgery examples...You can also browse on my page my "FORGERY FILE" were every picture I have posted of Mantle and others are all fakes....

Thank You CEE GEE

I think I'm starting to see a pattern with the fakes especially with the M's and the n.  This forum is great! I just found it and will be participating a lot. 

Cool Dave...this site can really be helpful...there's lots of great collectors here...you can learn a lot form other perspectives from all angles...the education on here is priceless...I have learned great points on here as well...

Welcome Aboard...

Not sure about this ball. A couple of things that bother me..

The signature looks way too big... didn't Mantle usually fit it nicely so the whole signature could be seen without having to turn ball?

Plus the loop under the first M looks a bit large and over done.

Heres another older auto...not exactly centered...bigger then usual auto...this ball is legit...JSA certified

I think the ball is real.  it is a bit blurry but I see nothing wrong with it. the loop on the first M is a little larger than normal, but JSA has authenticated many with loops even bigger, and extending even further down.  I questioned those myself.

Agree on the size/loop of the first M and mantle usually didn't have his signature go around the side of the ball.

Is $230 a good price for an authentic mantle ball such as that, that isn't "authenticated" by paying an arm or a leg to PSA or JSA?  If not what is the max one should pay out for an authentic, UN-authenticated Mantle "bobby brown" ball?  Thanks everyone.

Authentication plus shipping is going to run about $100.

So, if authenticated balls are going for $450 give or take a bit... subtract $100 from that.  But honestly, if you are convinced it is good and you like the ball, there's no reason why you shouldn't pay as much as you would for an "authenticated" ball.

Yeah I paid $575 for the PSA/DNA "full letter" authenticated Mickey Mantle ball with "No. 7" inscription thats in my avatar.   It has some even toning but the signature is nice and bold in my opinion and I will never sell it.  I try to collect anything Mickey Mantle that i can get my hands on and afford.

I paid $275 shipped for this from a Net54 member 6 months ago. Flawless Bobby Brown ball. Richard Simon gave it the thumbs up. I think I got an excellent deal. And the seller recently told me he is kicking himself for selling it. LOL

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service