We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

James Stewart Autographs: Which are Genuine, Autopens or Forgeries?

Isn't this an Autopen signature?

Ebay auction

Views: 26241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think sketches of the rabbit by James Stewart are really pretty rare. Almost all the stuff I've seen is the pre-printed rabbit like you said and then he personally adds the whiskers.

The Harvey sketches I got from Jimmy were on the poster board or mat board I sent him so I know they were not preprints. I'd send 3 at a time and each one was totally different than the others. They are hand done but odd that they are done in two inks.I believe the signature to be true but the rabbit??? Maybe he used the two color pens to make it look more artistic.

I got them from Jimmy from 3x5 card to 16x20 poster board sketches of Harvey signed.

Also did the double signature route with Donna Reed, Marlene Dietrich, Doris Day and Kim Kovak with Jimmy signatures.

One of my favorite double sigs was James Cagney and Mae Clarke. Jimmy didn't sign well by mail unless it's a photo already signed by someone else.

I did a double sig with Jackie Coogan and Charlie Chaplan, that is my most favorite double sig. I got that back in the 70s

Very impressive, Dave.  I'd love to see your double sigs. :-)

First post here so if I've messed up let me know. I'm a philatelist with a interest in signatures you find associated with postal history. Here is an item that came into my possession a few weeks ago. I'll post the envelope as well. I did a high resolution scan to see if the ink was varied or consistent as a stamped sig would be. I don't know if it's real but it does appear to be signed by someone rather than a stamp. Thanks for your insights into this piece, George.

I am not certain, but i think this is probably secretarial. I'd like to hear what others think about it.

I got literally 100 or so autographs from Jimmy through the mail over the years and every one I feel is authentic. Even towards his last year before his death I got nice inscriptions in very shaky handwriting. Maybe the old age picture he did use an autopen?? You'd have to find several and compare to know that. I know he signed very small versions of the older age photo, he's sign in the white margin. I never got one as I always sent him a photo.
Each one is different but still all have the similar slants, pressure points, etc

Jimmy had a business in Hawaii and did have an office he went to. I'm guessing the secretary there helped him with his mail, the office was close to his house I saw him drive away the same time of day often when I worked next door for Lucille Ball.

I only met Jimmy once and under a bad circumstance. A soda can slid under my break peddle and I couldn't stop. It was the one time I saw Jimmy walking his very old dog. Had he not almost fallen backwards pulling on the dog's leash I would have hit him. I got the can out and stopped before hitting Gary Morton's car in Lucy's driveway.

I got out and hurried to Jimmy to see if he was ok, He blazed with anger and cursed me. He said he was going to call the police and turned and went home. Lucy screamed at me when I got inside saying it's going to be all over the news. When I explained what happened she was quiet and said, "next time run over the s.o.b I've always hated him." From that time on I could call her 'Lucy" and not "Mrs. Morton"

The joke around Beverly Hills at the time was "Nobody Loves Lucy."

It is my belief the older age (small) photos signed in the margin are secretarial. Probably signed before he began using the Autopen in his final years.

I have seen a number of vintage Stewart signed items with the overly neat and drawn looking signature similar to the letter above. It is my belief these were probably done by a studio secretary.

One thing that puzzles me with this autograph is that the R is dropped. From what I've read it is one of his most persistent characteristics. Also the tone of the letter strikes me as more of a personal friend not a typical autograph seeker. Of course I am hoping it is his signature, possibly done neatly for a family friend.

George

Steve is right on.

What you have there is a secretarial signed letter.

Ah well...

Hello i am new to this but i was hopeing someone could help me with a James Stewart/Marlene Dietrich autographed photo I picked up at auction.  

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Thoughts on this James Stewart signed photo?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service