We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

My Dad was a military historian, and his Dad ran for the Senate in NJ in the late 40's, so he was always interested in politics as well. He kept a large 3-ring binder of his letters to and the responses (if any) from some of the key Political, Military, Religious, Scientific and News figures of the 50's through the 80's.

This was reviewed by expert at Rago Auction House in Lambertville, NJ and was deemed authentic. I also have the letter my Dad wrote to the young senator which prompted his response. I would welcome other opinions on the authenticity of the signature before I present it for sale.

Many thanks to the members....

Eileen 

Tags: Autographs, JFK, Kennedy, Senator

Views: 625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, let me say that President Kennedy had more variations of his signature than just about any famous person I can think of. Therefore, his can be one of the more difficult autographs to authenticate. His signature could vary markedly in the same day! Why? Perhaps, just to frustrate future autograph hounds. I don't know. It is also common knowledge that he made liberal (no pun intended) use of the autopen, even while a senator. His more common use of the autopen began later in his Senate career. He was definitely using the autopen frequently when this letter was typed. This doesn't mean, of course, that he didn't actually sign this one. This seems like a reply to an issue he was very interested in. So he may have actually responded himself; it appears that way. So he would have been more likely to have signed it himself as opposed to secretarial or autopen. This doesn't really look like an autopen or secretarial style I can remember off the top of my head. I think there's a good chance its authentic.

For a great video on on JFK autographs, go to YouTube and search, "authenticating JFK signatures". It's in two parts. It's very informative.

James,  thanks very much for the information as well as your opinion. I have a couple other letters from JFK, however, the replies were more general....thanks for taking the time to write .... I have enclosed a copy of the speech outlining my positions ... etc. And the others were signed John Kennedy, not Jack.

I will check out the video!

Eileen

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service