We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Opinions by Eric $12 with a full Quality Assessment and the Opportunity to Ask Questions.

Hi All,

Announcing my little service. You get what you read above for $12 per siganture - my opinion with explanation when needed or desired, a full Quality Assessment and the opportunity to ask questions. Names include Vivien Leigh, Judy Garland, Tallaulah Bankhead, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Gloria Swanson, Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Audrey Meadows, Richard Burton, Darren McGavin, Simon Oakland, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelley and David Bowie. Having succesfully changed PSA's understanding of what is a genuine Gleason on the relevant Facts Page I decided this would be as good a time as any. I have also done work for auction houses in the last few years, cleaning out bad Gleason's etc.

Below is a real reponse from a bit ago. The collector commented he did not expect such a full analysis and was very pleased. If I can find a better deal for a like item I'll let you know.

"Hello,
Thank you.
Opinion:
These are authentic and typical fiber pen signatures dating to XXXX in my opinion.The notary stamp is worth what it's worth - every one of these 8x10's would be so stamped. The hand numbered limited edition is a very nice thing to have on an older SP.
Quality Assessment:
This is a very nice older set of autographs on what appears a well preserved b/w semi-matte finish 8x10 photographic print from a copy negative. The image is highly contrasted and lacking in grey tones and detail. The photo appears to be a lab photo in Extremely Fine to Near Mint condition. These photos would have been printed for this signing.
Signature placement and contrast are nearly perfect. Both signatures are not rushed and are very attractive examples for this period. No abrasion to the ink. All combine to make a nice presentation. I would prefer a photograph from the original negative but this is as issued and quite acceptable to most all (I am very picky). Having the character names is very desirable and they are typical as well. It is a limited and numbered edition which is a plus. It is not an overenlarged 16x20 or 11x14 which are often of poor quality - those are more recent money grabs to be avoided IMO. The price of $XXXX for this double signed SP is within the reasonable range for such a nice item. This would be an A item to me. A+ would be assigned if the photo was not a copy print. It is quite nice overall. Much better than average.

Do you have any questions for me? 

Best wishes,
Eric Keith Longo
Opinions by Eric
Through here or email magikbilly@yahoo.com
Payment by PayPal to magikbilly@yahoo.com

Views: 974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All.

Thanks for the work and I appreciate the opportunity! 

I've got a few requests recently for opinions on the names I will work with from friends (about 300 in my list), folks, etc. I will not do these names for free for some and charge others. That is simply not fair. Please don't ask me.

Thank you,

Eric
Opinions by Eric

Seeing this for the first time. Congrats Eric! By far, one of the most meticulous, well-researched, and knowledgeable people I know on this site. $12 is an absolute steal!

Thanks Luke :) Much appreciated.

Hi Eric -

You are certainly making a very clear statement of establishing boundaries with members here...and I don't blame you.  You have moved from the relationship with us that we have known you as a fellow hobbyist to now a paid service.  That changes your relationship with all of the members of AL.  It can be confusing on a forum like this where the general membership is here to assist one another with no expectation of compensation.  We do it just for the love of the hobby and to connect to fellow hobbyists.   That was how we knew you exclusively before you began you new business venture and so it will take awhile to realize that relationship is now different.  Once folks get accustomed to that, I think it will be understood why you are not engaged in the same way here as before.

With all due respect, one thought might be to look at the model of folks like James Spence, Joe Orlando, Steve Grad, Larry Studebaker, etc. etc..  They do not contribute authenticity opinions at all on this board because they are in the for profit business of authentication.   There's no grey area when one is accepting compensation for this kind of work to do some authentication for free....some not for free...as you say.  A couple of years ago, a dealer friend and I were considering doing the very thing that you have now begun.  I finally came to a decision not to do that because I would rather be a hobbyist offering opinions to others gratis and wanted to be able to ask fellow hobbyists for their opinions as well.  You are absolutely correct, the boundaries need to be firm.  For myself, I realized I would lose something that I valued by being able to contribute on this board as freely.

A suggestion also might be to consider paid advertising here like other services found on the top and right side of this page.  Along with a policy of not offering free public opinions here on AL or privately solicited ones on any signer, paid advertising might help get the message across.

Just my two cents.  As I said, I wish the very best in your new venture.

Thank you for the good wishes Etienne!

This is a "quick opinion" service or a full loa that you will be offering? Honestly a little surprised. 

Hi Adam,

This is not a QO, It is a bit more. You can see what is offered above. It's just a small service to assist the collector evaluate the many quaities one might find when collecting an autograph, limited to the names listed. It is not profit driven as suggested above. I might be making $2 an hour if there is a lot to correlate and work on. It is to help the collector avoid problem items, make evaluations and provide additional data to make a choice; most love the Quality Assessment. 

good luck with the new venture Eric.  the 12 dollars does seem a little light especially when considering your expertise with Gleason, who is a very rare, difficult and expensive autograph to add to one's collection.  Personally, I am a strong supporter of specialized opinions as opposed to typical TPA's who offer opinions on anything and everything.  again, good luck I hope it works out well for both sides.

Thank you terrier! I too prefer to work with just a few names. I appreciate the support - much valued. 

Eric -  I'm not saying that you are profit driven.  It's simply a different relationship when you are charging as opposed to not charging.  I'm not trying to be dense...just trying to understand your model.  If I have it right, you might be active here with opinions on certain autographs...but not on other autographs? 

For instance, if I have a Bette Davis autograph and ask for opinions on the board...you would not be amongst group members possibly offering one unless I specifically wrote you and contracted for a paid opinion?

Hi Etienne,

Yes, I will not comment on the names listed above in threads. I will continue as always with other names here - there is no conflict. If the others you named don't post here or there that is their choice. I enjoy being here as well and contributing and will continue to do so. I do not sell any of the names I listed apart from Gleason or Bowie and how often is that? Those are usually to folks already asking me for specific guidance. I am doing 16 names, some of which rarely come up. I don't think this as complex as you make it. Trying to limit what I can say (or not) and all, as you've done twice in this thread, is not needed. But thank you. 

As long as there's no paid service advertising / redirection in the general comments and the stated offer from AL to all members remains the same:  "Get free autograph authenticity opinions from collectors and professional members"....it's cool.

Beyond that, I don't have any skin in the game and certainly wish you the best in your endeavors.  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service