We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hey guys! I would probabaly like to buy myself for my birthday this Ray Charles autograph..is it genuine in your eyes?Cheers, Christian:)

Because Innuendo on this website said that his Freddie Mercury signature was fake...so I am curious..

Tags: Charles, Ray

Views: 12094

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry only just noticed your comment about Searchers/Remo Four. Here are a few from the Searchers (I think we've actually got a lot more). Paul got these on 30th September 1963 at the Birmingham Odeon. This was actually a package tour with Roy Orbison headlining with Freddie & The Dreamers, Brian Poole & The Tremeloes, Bob Luman, Cherry Roland, Gary & Lee and Sons Of The Piltdown Men on the bill along with the Searchers. Paul was a big fan of Orbison and also got his autograph at this show along with the Searchers, Freddie & The Dreamers, Cherry Roland and I think Brian Poole too. I've not come across any Remo Four yet but I'm only a third through the collection. The Remo Four did come down from Liverpool to Birmingham for an addition of the TV Show Thank Your Lucky Stars which broadcast on the 31st August 1963 (It was always shot the week before) which was shot in Aston Birmingham. My mom used to work at those studios (Alpha Television) from 1956 and Paul was a regular in the audience most weeks. Paul did attend that show and got autographs from Jet Harris & Tony Meehan, Ronnie Hilton, Jimmy Justice and Carol Deene that week so its possible a Remo Four will also turn up. The Searchers are actually back in town in Birmingham this year on a 60's revival show minus Mike Pender. I'm not aware of any package tour the Remo Four did in Birmingham in 1963 other than this appearance on Thank Your Lucky Stars. Got a feeling they did come to Wolverhampton with Billy J Kramer and Tommy Roe in 63 but Paul wouldn't have gone as far as there, he stuck to just the venues in center of Birmingham and occasionally in Coventry. He certainly did go to the Thank Your Lucky Stars show that they appeared on though. 

Thanks Phil. Anything from Remo Four?

My Tony Jackson from the Searchers looks pretty different to yours but I have a feeling that the problem is at my end - i.e. mine is written by someone else. Here is a scan:

Nothing from Reno Four yet but it's going to be sometime yet before I've gone through everything. Paul was certainly at the performance on Thank Your Lucky Stars as I've got other autographs from others who were on the same show. I did ask him but he doesn't recall them. he did get a lot of autographs off that show so could be he just didn't get the Remo Four but if some turn up I'll tell you. What's your link to them? I recall the name cos like the Searchers they have links to the Deep Purple story whom I'm a fan of

Any other requests from any American or British star from around 1963 period? 

Sorry Pug (feels odd calling you pug!) but re-your comment on due diligence. I 100% agree. I only pitched on this thread when someone posted a link to my item and people started commenting. I've posted no autographs for sale on this forum at all. If anyone is genuinely interested in this item as a potential purchase then just send me your email address and I'll mail the best image I can do of each (although only one is for sale - the PC item). I can also organise a skype call (if outside of UK) with Paul. When i say we are only selling the PC item the fact is at the moment we only plan to sell one and it could be either but the autograph on the NME contains 50+ other 1963 autographs and I don't at the moment want to break it up so it wouldn't sell as a Ray Charles autograph but as a "50 1963 music autograph" item so would cost more and contain all sorts of autographs not everyone would want - especially if they were just after Ray. 

Just checking the NME annual with Ray Charles autograph in and there is at least 50 other autographs in there from 1963. There is an awful lot of British Stars in there but from America there is a Sammy Davis Jr, Brenda Lee, Duane Eddy, Everley Brothers, Dion and three Nat King Cole autographs. 

Here are a few of the US ones. 

these are just a few of the US ones inside the Ray Charles NME item, there are about 50 more, mainly British stars too. Its 100 pages of autograph after autograph from in and around 1963. Hard to see how to break it up to sell one item hence why the Ray Charles PC is up for sale and not this. 

I've got two of the four autographs signed by Ray Charles that day in May 1963. Identical pen and ink on both autograph but not identical autographs which you would expect if both stamped. Both were signed by him personally and unaided and in front of my friend Paul and unassisted. I appreciate your theories on the ink but I've got two autographs taken and they are not identical unless he used two different stamps! 

I don't doubt it (the general assertion). I do expect yours are genuine and the the other, the pc, stamped. Everyone here does? The odds? What seems reasonable? Why should I expect all stamped? I don't suggest two stamps. You are saying some of these were "face to face" with you, yes. I do not doubt it. Is it not reasonably likely that, if there were a problem, it would be with the one you did not see signed yourself? I make no claim about honesty regarding your friend Paul!!! I went over the science of memory a bit before with ocean liners as a vehicle to keep interest ( I hope). Memory is fallible. 

You mentioned ink. You know what I have been asking...

Both these taken from Ray on the same day. There were two more autographs but we don't have those. Both same pen on different paper surfaces. One was from an end of year New Musical Express and one was on a postcard. Same ink but how the ink will have lasted on both will be different. It can also spread and sink into the material and wear away. So both done in same pen, same person did them but they won't be identical and both will have lasted in two different ways due to the differing paper surfaces. Memory is fallible for sure but Paul's is pretty good and he can remember the vast majority of the meets especially those that mattered.

"...and he (Paul) can remember the vast majority of the meets especially those that mattered..."

So, not all. 

Yep, you've caught me out. He must have forgot this one. 

Why would Ray stamp one and then sign the other? He would of either stamped them all or signed them all and if he stamped them all then he would have had to use two different stamps as both the autographs are not identical. There was two other autographs done with Paul's friend. Would be good if we had access to those but we don't. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service