We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Signatures You Know Are 100% Real but Deemed Fake by the Community

Im curious if we could start a thread of odd examples of signatures.. different variations from celebrities which are 100% real but something others wouldn't ever touch.. examples would be quick scribbles, print instead of handwritten, signatures signed using another name, or just completely out of their normal style maybe even slightly. I know this could open up a can of worms so it would help if you have some type of proof to accompany your item. If not, it would still be fun to contribute to see how others feel about your item. I know there are many of these examples out there. 

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is an interesting one to get you started.  Two very different Lou Reed autographs signed on the same day, on the same item, just a few hours apart.  The top one was signed when Lou arrived for soundcheck, and is a classic example of his autograph that no expert would have a problem with.  The bottom one was signed later that night, after the gig, and is rushed/atypical.  Both are 100% genuine, but the bottom one, if viewed alone, would likely not pass authentication.  Together, they make an interesting pair, I think.  They say a lot about Lou’s temperamental personality.

Curious about when these were signed.  I have an IP Reed from a signing at a record store for his release of The Raven in 2003, and it looks nothing like either one of these.  He must have been all over the place on any given time/day/place etc.

These are from the late 2000s, around 2007/2008.  As I say, the top one is quite typical of the period.  You’re unlikely to see another that looks like the bottom one — that’s very unusual.

Yes, his autograph did change, sometimes from moment to moment, as the examples I posted show.  Lou’s signature is lazy and inconsistent, yet he was usually willing to stop for fans.  I met him myself a couple of times.

I kinda like the bottom one. More "Lou" and very spontaneous,

Me, too.  But I wouldn’t be so happy if it were on its own.  I like the way the two work together in dialogue, to speak of Lou’s idiosyncratic nature.  It’s a highly unusual piece.  It’s not often you see a double-signed item with such variance.

"...in dialogue..."

It's not often you hear the appreciation of a signature set expressed so eloquently! I might think Bowie could produce such variance at times. Goodness knows I do.

Ha!  You’re too kind.

Bowie’s signature was more stylised than Lou’s, but it could definitely vary from moment to moment.  I witnessed this phenomenon in person many times.

I’ve shared this one before, but here’s an example of a Bowie autograph that I received in person, in 2002.  It wasn’t a particularly rushed situation, but for some reason his signature came out really poor and shaky.  There is actually video footage out there of him signing this for me, but I won’t link to it here.  Anyway, I’m sure I would struggle to sell this one, if I ever wanted to, and TPAs (other than Andy, who knows me) might baulk at certifying it:

I'd pass that easily. I think I just did.The first half of the "B" says a LOT. I think it's a great signature, obviously genuine. The rest is what I call a "snub-nosed" Bowie. Seen on more than a few ISOLAR cards. All the elements are there in play. Wonderful spontaneity. And IP to boot. I'm sure I could sell this.I mean, who else could produce this? Only Bowie.

Maybe I’m being too harsh on it.  But of all the autographs I ever got from him IP, which is a lot, this was the most disappointing.  I still have no plans to sell, mind.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service