We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

The Doors and Jim Morrison autographs--would appreciate opinions on authenticity

I respect a lot of what I've read on this site.  So much so that I'd love your opinions on this Morrison/Doors supposed authentic auto.

American rock band The Doors, 4 1/2" X 4 1/2" inches, 1970, Hand signed by American rock band The Doors, Set of hand signed autographs, signed by all original members of American band "The Doors". These signatures are like gold dust nowadays. To find a set like these is next to impossible. These were signed in England in 1970. Signed on paper. The paper is showing signs of age, with some foxing, and one signature is on the back with three on the front. Still a very rare set to get your hands on. The foxing looks worse in my photographs than when you have it in your hand. All the autographs are still very clear. The Doors were an American rock band formed in 1965 in Los Angeles, with Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore. size 4 1/2" X 4 1/2" inches

Many thanks,

Chris

Views: 3462

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once again,...a forger would want to finish the I S O N, in an Exemplar fashion, if he is that "good", wouldn't he want to use an "ordinary" exemplar? No,..Jim probably felt "creative" that night,.(if you know what I mean). P.S. Ive studied early John Densmore's that fit the Signature shown.

Apparently the forger didn't bother to find an example of John's Doors-era signature. The one in question appears to be an attempt at his more recent signature, and they didn't even get that right. The same goes for Ray's signature. The whole thing is a complete mess.

I would think the opposite perhaps. Look at Van Meegeren's "Vermeers" - a totally unknown subject and he fooled all for a while). 

Say again Eric,..I don't know where you're coming from.....

A "good" forger might not pick the obvious. It depends. These are just not authentic. Sorry.

A fake Van Gogh Eiffel Tower under construction would be a dangerous thing, even brazen, but has the benefit of not having to appear in a letter to Theo as they were living at together at the time. Showing the thing illuminated would be a mistake as that was to be by Homer at the 1893 Fair - showing electricity. Best to show it from a distance, as a partially finished structure in a background. Smart forger might work from a drawing backwards to the oil, and unlike Van Meegeren, throw the darn sketches thing away - not sell tgem as "studies".

The auction on this item has now ended as it has sold for a whopping $800.-

Thanks Jack. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and that was not a very costly snack!

Signed by all 4 within as year or so of his death and sold for $800? Uh-huh. ;)

Here are two other forgeries that have sold in the past through Live Auctioneers at less than $500.- each.  At least a decent attempt was made to resemble authentic exemplars unlike the one in this thread. 

The second one appears to be copied from this authentic yearbook signature.

Those forging beep beep!!

Yes, the second sig is defiantly a forgery, like you said, from his yearbook. But I'm sticking to my "guns" on the original 3 person autograph in question....

Tereasa, do you own any, Morrison graphs?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service