We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Today is 110 years since Titanic struck its iceberg-show your related autos

110 years ago! I remember when it was about 65 years. My related autographs are from the co-discoverer Robert Ballard in 1987 on Woods Hole stationary telling me to write with my question (not scanned), and the youngest and last survivor Millvina Dean, who died in 2009

Signed to me in sepia Sharpie. I chose this original 1924 photograph, unique hand-tint too, because it was taken aboard the Adriatic and that was the ship that brought Miss Dean and her mother back to the UK after this disaster in 1912. Also, most importantly, in 1907 Captain Smith, later of the Titanic in 1912, brought this Adriatic over on her maiden voyage. During an interview in NYC at her arrival, he said that his life "...was boring, he had never seen a wreck or been wrecked and that modern shipbuilding had gone beyond such things...". Not quite...correct. I have been interested in this subject since 1975 or so, and have been involved with many books, exhibits and the authentication of ocean liner items from the lost liners since C. 2000,, so this is a very special item for me. Very personal. Never did I think I would have correspondence with a Titanic survivor. Most did this in the 1970's. But, I was lucky - last minute. Unfortunately, she died just a few months later. This item burst from its mailer and was lost for months. For good, no? I mean, it says what it is. The following summer, I received this in an unmarked envelope.

"To Eric with all good wishes from Millvina Dean, the youngest and last survivor of the Titanic"

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is Hartley's hand. Click to enlarge to full size:

Here is the next. 

Arthur Rostron, Captain of the Carpathia. Either written a month or so before the Titanic went down or less than two months after. The original American auctioneer thought the former but as Rostron was British I suspect the latter. The references to Rostron being so busy may support my view. 

Here is my third. Titanic survivor Helen Ostby, signing a Titanic related book in 1935.

I bought the book because I had bought a small collection of original vintage Ostby family photographs a few years earlier. These included a very nice one of Helen and her father, who didn't survive the sinking.

Here are some images of the book, Helen and her father:

I like the bookshop label.  That was common back in the day. 

In rushing to post on the 15th I somehow clean forgot about one of my best Titanic-related signed items. It is a postcard sent by Alfonso Meo, a very interesting third class passenger, to his partner in Bornemouth, UK. It was almost certainly sent from Queenstown, as Meo sent a similar card to his brother from there. I bought the card as part of a small archive of things that had belonged to a Meo descendant. I attach one of the original vintage photos that came with the card. If anyone wants me to write more about Meo just leave a comment below. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service