We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Welcome to Author-Direct Signed Books! A new forum category. What should the rules be?

Welcome to Author-Direct signed books, a new forum inspired by Musician-Direct Autograph Sales.

You can start using it now, but let's discuss how to organize it, and rules:

1. Should all author-direct signed books be discussed here, or should we have separate categories for politics or any others?

2. Should author-direct books regarding musicians go into Music-Direct Autograph Sales?

3. What can be discussed? Should the rules be different for politics than other areas?

4. Should there be rules of how titles are written? Of how images are shown? About links?

One thing that's important is to post photos of the items being offered, not just links. And don't upload photos as files. Upload photos so they can be viewed in the original post, using the second button from the left in the editing toolbar. Too many people upload them as files even though it says: "PLEASE DON'T POST PHOTOS USING BUTTONS BELOW. Use 2nd button on editing toolbar above."
  5. Anything else?

Feel free to start posting discussions but please do give your opinions here if you have some.

Thanks,

Steve

Views: 619

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may not always be possible to post photos, especially when time is of the essence for rare or sought after books that are sure to sell out in minutes, or when the OP is on the go. I think a signed books category is a great idea, and something that was missing. Books are books though, and I personally do not think there should be a separate category for politics. People just need to remain cordial and avoid discussing their views on a page which is not meant to discuss politics. That's only my humble opinion. Maybe musicians books might end up being posted both here and on the musicians page, but it might probably be better to have a few duplicates every now and then rather than missing out?

Will we still see books sold by premierecollectibles, waterstones, barnesandnoble and Live Talks Los Angeles alongside other stores appearing here?

In person book signings / event associated signed books / music I'd love to see that stand out on it's own too. Which is where the likes of Waterstones and Live Talks Los Angeles and HMV fit in.

I second what Dan said.

I don't know what happened with the other thread it was fine and dandy until the last week and certainly over the weekend just flooded my inbox with messages without announcing any book sales.

My only ask is that the moderation be consistent. It was not consistent on the other forum that was shut down - the positive political opinion was kept up (and still is despite being against the rules) - which was the major catalyst for people arguing in that thread. 

I'm not following what could still be upsetting you there, but if you really need me to take it down I will. That aside, I was considering shutting down that thread well before political anything was brought up due to a signature study/autopen comparison and additional commentary taking over a thread that wasn't really built to accommodate those types of asides. And other forum members had been expressing frustration about things going so off course in the musicians direct section in general.

Jeez, sorry to clog up an autograph forum with an autograph study. I thought I was maybe helping someone and had no ulterior motives. There was no other place to post it where it would get seen by those who were tracking (therefore the need for the additional thread that was just created). I can’t help that some folks can’t control themselves. 

Apologies if that came off wrong. It wasn't meant as a personal knock on posters so much as citing a bad situation. The fact that there was no other place to post it was the problem, really. That thread was turning into the same issue that lead to the creation of Musicians Direct forum section as opposed to single messy thread that led to members' frustration. I'd put it there originally because there was no other good outlet for that info, and it was a meant as an aside to the rest of the forum. And it was supposed to be stopgap, but it's 3 years and 2500+ posts later. I'm thankful that Steve came up with this solution.

Yeah, it came off a bit wrong Rich. I put quite a bit of time and effort into trying to help, only for you to suggest I was a nuisance or out of line.

Matt, you aren't to blame for it. 

Matt, we LOVE autograph studies! But Musician-Direct and Direct Book Signings forums are for signings—unless there are concerns that the piece wasn't authentically signed. We have lots of places to post those. What's it on? 

Rich, now that I think of it, what do you think of a forum just for Musician-Direct and Direct Book authenticity concerns? When there's an issue members can start a discussion and link to it in that forum. We'll put the link in the OP so it's clear from the start.

Steve, thanks for your reply. I was tracking the Melania signatures in non-musician section as the initial reaction was suspected autopen (which, according to your reply, would be an appropriate place to do it).

I get that it’s probably best right now not to post anything from the political realm. There have actually been several political items that I have not posted just to avoid the political comments, but I thought it was worth the risk for folks to get Clinton for $38 or find out if their $75/$150 Melania book was autopen.

Clearly, folks wanted to use this as a forum to vent their political concerns which I don’t agree with and was not my intention…and when another member and I started a cordial discussion about our mutual interests in politics, I moved it off the thread.

Appreciate the idea of an authenticity thread but as you said, we usually discuss those concerns in the existing, if concerns arise…that’s my preference but I know some members don’t like it. So maybe it’s best to have it separated but just seems like it could get lost. 

I think that if we put a link to the authenticity discussion on that signing it won't get lost, and collectors can scan them to find out about authenticity concerns quickly.

I think that sounds good, appreciate it

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service