We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Thad Mumford was a Yankee bat boy in the sixties. He later went on to become a producer of Sesame Street and other projects. About ten years ago my cousin who lives in L.A. was helping a friend clean out lockers in a building there. I was visiting at the time and saw what they came home with. A stack of sixties Yankee memorabilia. Signed pictures, a 1966 multi  team signed year book, signed pictures of DiMaggio, Mantle and others.most were addressed 'to Thad' and personalized. Research uncovered the connection.

I managed to buy one item while they split the others. A late sixties Yankee Yearbook. Mantle signed in blue pen on his full page picture. There were also signatures of broadcasters Phil Rizzuto, Jerry Coleman, Joe Garagiola. As well as a signed Tracy Stallard picture that I acquired elsewhere. The pitcher without served up number 61 for Maris.

I used them all in this little framed display dedicated to the "M & M boys" of 1961. I also later acquired a Maris autographed page. Whitey Herzog signed the same paper lower down, but I didn't want his name to spoil the theme. I also mixed in some vintage cards of that era and swatch cards of Maris and Mantle. One of my smaller displays, but succinct.

Sorry for the glare on the first picture. The others show things in more detail.

Tags: Mackey, Mantle, Maris, Roger

Views: 298

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed on the Maris not being authentic. The Mantle is also suspect too, IMO. The M’s are usually a lot more sharp than that. I have seen clubhouse Mantle’s resemble that.

I just took a closer look.  you have me rethinking this but not because of the M's, they are typical of late 60's signatures.  really need a better quality photo.  the overall signature does look somewhat atypical

The image that Old School posted of Mantle is late 60’s or possibly an old timers game in the 1970’s by that time he had his signature perfected to what we know now. I have about half a dozen Mantle signatures in my collection and it just seems atypical for that period of time. Club House autographs of Mantle could never get his  M’s right. This autograph is definitely not from the glorious 1961 season.

he started playing first base around '67.  here is a '68 signature on a team ball.  The M's still had those loops that disappeared with his later signatures.  But the last name looks off, it just seems strange on closer look. (the OP signature)

I deleted my initial response, the Maris is definitely bad.  The Mantle, now that I looked at it (initially I just looked at the M's without expanding the photo), is suspect, as Nick indicated

I don't think the Mantle is good. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service