We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I am just wondering what size of autographed photos most collectors prefer to collect.  I prefer to collect 8x10 autographed photos for the purpose of storage, but I have noticed that many sellers are offering 11x14 autographed photos lately.  Thanks in advance.

Views: 4648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree completely. Top loads in a box are fine for shipping but long term storage, you are risking having the signatures stick inside the holder or at the very least you will start seeing the signature get scratched by the shifting of the photo in the hard plastic.

I have a number of friends that do shows around the country and carry signed photos in toploads ....after a few trips, the signed photo looks terrible between the lifting of signatures or the scratching.

Itoya is the way to go, and they have sized portfolios for every size, 8x10, 8.5x11, 11x14, 11x17, 12x18, 16x20. 

Awesome.  Thanks again Pete.  I never knew.  I guess there is some truth to the idea that you learn something new each day.

Mylar sleeves are a must if you are using toploaders. Same with keeping them stored vertical instead of horizontal.

Yeah, I think 11 x 14's are the best.  Photos are big without being too big (and costly to frame should you want to).  Storage isn't all that more difficult that 8 x 10s.  I use the Itoya ringed binders.  They're excellent.

Thanks Rich.

Since I do not frame anything because of fading issues I prefer 8x10 myself.

In the vintage market (pre-1970) 11x14 are certainly more desirable as; 1) there is much more chance of them being genuine and not secretarial, as many stars preferred to sign large photos (e.g. Lombard, Monroe), 2) not many were signed, and 3) the photograph was usually of a much better quality (double-weight, pearl finish etc.). 

I also collect unsigned vintage photos. In many ways I actually prefer the 10 x 8s for the storage reasons other people have mentioned. I also find 11 x 14s almost too large to appreciate close-up. Framed and on the wall is a different story of course.

I only do 8x10's since I mostly do TTM and a little IP. Plus, they are easy to store and cheaper to buy storage items or frames.

Thanks BC.

8x10 for the most part, but I like getting the  mini movie posters signed and the stars I really like in 11x 14.

Most of my collection are mixed sizes but I do like 18x12 in size I have acid free boxes and sleeves to keep my items safe. The ones that are framed are kept away from daylight.

The vast majority of mine are 8x10s, as others have mentioned they are simply easier to carry around to a show or ballgame without having to worry about bending it. If I'm getting autos in person at a game, I feel I would DEFINITELY come across as a dealer if I bust out some giant 11x14 or 16x20!!!

I also print most of my own photos at CVS or SAM's Club, and it's quite a bit harder to find a picture online that will still look nice when you stretch it that big. Someone else mentioned framing is cheaper on 8x10s and that is definitely true. 11x14s and 16x20s do look very cool and I have a few, so nothing against them, I just definitely prefer 8x10s for hauling purposes/TTM/and price!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service