We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

For the last week I have been buzzing about what I think is a highly unusual acquisition of Queen items, including a number of fine autographs from April1978. When I bought the archive my Queen collection literally went from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds, or perhaps two minutes.

I am certainly no expert on Queen autographs so before writing too much I'd like to share one of my favourite single signatures and get your opinions on it. It is actually on white card (or heavy paper) but for some reason my camera has given the whole card a blue tinge:

Views: 1320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice genuine signature. 

Did the collection come from a Swiss seller? 

Yes. The autograph above was obtained after Queen played in Zurich on 30 April 1978. I'll write more in due course.

Intriguing :).  Look forward to the narrative. 

Wow...!  Congrats!!

Here is the narrative...

The archive (I prefer that word to collection for reasons that should become clear) was built up by a very devoted Swiss Queen fan. He was a member of the international fan club for a number of years and attended Queen's Swiss concerts in 1977 (Basel), 1978 (Zurich) and 1979 (Zurich). Aside from autographs, the archive includes fan club material from the mid 70s to the early 80s; concert programmes and posters for the above Swiss concerts; magazine posters; magazine and newspaper clippings; and four early vinyl bootlegs. The package I received weighed an impressive 8.7 kg.

All but one of the autographs in the archive were obtained at a "party" after the 1978 concert. I use inverted commas as it was apparently a very subdued affair with heavy bodyguard presence. Around five fan club members were invited to attend the event at the 5-star Hotel Atlantis, where Queen were staying. I don't know how the fans were selected but "my" fan certainly took full advantage from an autograph-gathering perspective. He got a number of plain cards and posters signed and was apparently ejected for a while for being a bit too persistent. Roger Taylor brought him back in on his way back from the WC! The event went on past midnight as is evidenced by this card signed by Brian May in the early hours of 1 May:

I'd be interested to know if this kind of fan club attendance at post-gig "parties" was normal in those days, at least for Queen. I cannot imagine it happening today, where ridiculous sums are asked for "one selfie only" or "one question only" meet and greets. The most bizarre one I remember seeing was a meet and greet with some "rock star's" boots! I think they were asking about $500 for the privilege.

I will try to post at least one autograph or set of autographs a day over the next few days. 

Not unheard of, but not all that common, either. More common was the band using the fc to recruit fans for music video sets like We Are The Champions and Radio GaGa. Fans would go and of course the band would sign anything and just about everything they asked. A few paper suits from the Gaga video fully signed are in circulation from time to time. 

I can’t speak for Queen — never was a fan — but I was invited backstage at several David Bowie gigs over the years.  It was not the norm, but it would happen on occasion, for select fans who were known to David and his crew.

When Bowie played a small, invite-only promotional gig at the HQ Club, Dublin, in October 1999, several of us attended the aftershow party in the basement bar.  David signed his personal copy of the setlist for me; unfortunately, that one was destroyed in flood waters, in 2005.  However, I do still have my laminate from that night:

I remember the loss of so many fine Bowie's in that flood. :(

Backstage. I was invited backstage by Marilyn Manson who was sitting next to me at a Radiohead concert at the newly refurbished Hammerstein Ballroom. Like a dope I said no.

I did get invited to observe a Radiohead gig from the lighting booth, which had more smoke in it than was on stage. That is the night I got Thom Yorke's autograph.

Sounds like you got a brilliant haul there Eva.  Well done.  I’ve bought a couple of Queen collections in the past but I must have been looking in the wrong place to miss this one :).

Queen often did mini parties mid tour but usually it was when they had the following day off.

I met May and Taylor backstage at separate solo gigs.  I didn’t ask them for autographs or even a photograph as just appreciated being there chatting with them.  

Same here, Jimbo --about the "wrong places". I think I'm not knocking on the correct doors, Lol!! Anyway, I'm glad for Pug called Eva, honestly. Congratulations!! :)

A dash of seething jealousy, a pinch of green envy but a general feeling of excitement that a little trove will see the light of day are the emotions at the moment :) :). 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service