We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I ran across a nice baseball but the only thing about it is that there is a nail or screw hole on the label.  You have the sig on the sweet spot and on the opposite side there is a hole. The seller states it was from mounting the ball?? whatever that means, it really doesnt matter why.

My question is even though the hole is in the ball, you cannot see it when the ball is displayed.  How do imperfections such as this affect value and quality?

What have you all experienced over the years when things like this come up?

Thanks

Views: 517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just for example right now Mo Rivera is running from 150 to 350 for a baseball.  I`ve been looking and waiting..  I found a mis described Steiner Rivera baseball for 75 bucks.  I think that was a hell of a deal.  Deals can be found....sometimes its just patience. 

I guarantee you`ll be able to find a Joe D for a good price.  Check out Mill Creeksports they may work with you a little and they have tons of Joe D sigs.

Erich is right.  Be patient.

I have purchased several Mantle sigs for under $200.00 and some awesome Jeter sigs (rookie autographs) for under $170.00.

Mr. Zipper will confirm that sometimes I have the luckiest timing.

Deals are out there at one time or another.

Sometimes it's just luck.

My luck ran out a bit recently.  I spotted two signed baseballs (one auction).  One of Joe D. and one of Ted W.  Gorgeous autographs.  The "Buy It Now" was $330.00.  By the time I clicked it, someone else beat me to it.

Funny!!!

I have gotten several Mantle autos for less than $100. Gotta have the eye and snag them immediately! :)

While I'm not a Mantle fan or collector at all, Chris and Ryan bring up a good point in that knowing a signature especially well can pay big dividends.  You can get steals that others might back away from just by knowing your stuff better than the majority.

What would a joe d HOf 55 inscription with cert high grade ball go for fuddalicious?

don't really know, I don't own one. I would pay $380-450. Maybe why I don't own one. I don't like many of the ones out there with the inscriptions. Especially on the Budig balls...

I have seen these a few times before. It is from a prior shadowbox mounting where the ball was literally screwed onto the back of the shadowbox.

So, obviously value is going to take a hit, but how much?

In my view, the impact of defects is directly proportional to the supply. For someone like DiMaggio who participated in commercial signings and mass quantities of nearly pristine balls are available, a defect this severe is going to decimate value. I don't think I'd pay more than $100 for it. Most collectors would be of the mindset, unless I can get this REALLY cheap, I'd rather just pay a few bucks more for one without damage. And I can easily find another one within seconds on eBay.

If it was a rare or expensive item, the defect would have a lot less impact on value. For example, if it was a Ty Cobb signed ball with a strong signature and a defect on the back, it may reduce price very little if at all.

For my collection, I would avoid any "dented cans" on items that were commercially signed. There are just too many out there and condition impaired examples are always going to be tough to move unless heavily discounted.

Dimaggio signed balls are far from rare.   This ball is way overpriced, even if it were mint, the signature quality is not that great.

As for why hole keeps getting bleeped its probably because ass is usually before it.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service