We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I bought a Nolan Ryan ball that was claimed to be authenticated by this outfit. My personal example is posted. These guys don’t have professional background in authenticating autographs except a few years as collectors. They could not tell me that they had a true disciplined approach to evaluating autographs. They were quite rude over the phone while taking no responsibility. The word is they are extremely loosey  goosey updating what they claim to authenticate. 

Views: 1813

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

As of this morning, Autographreference.com was Down For Maintenance.

As soon as it it back up again, I'm sure a few of us will check it out.

I have never bought any of their items...but from what I have looked at and seen mostly is their items look ok...  post a pic of the Nolan Ryan so we can also see the problem you have....

sounds like the ebay seller you purchased the ball from misled you by saying the ball was game used.

While I am not endorsing every item they sell or authenticate, in my experience, Autograph Reference / Bobby Poll is credible. I often see their items in my daily searches and for the most part, they appear legit. I have purchased a few low cost items from them.

While I may not agree with every item they sell or authenticate, in my opinion, it appears to be a good faith effort to provide authentic material.

We need to be mindful that this site often produces high search engine results. Someone can spend years doing the right thing and providing honest service, and that’s all it takes is one thread with a negative title to overshadow years of positive content. 

I don’t think the OP did this intentionally, but the result is just the same. When I think back on a thread or two from the past, I wish I handled a few differently. Even if I was “right” about the item in question, a single mistake does not warrant a condemnation that lives near the top of a Google search.  Dishonest people use anonymous complaint sites as a weapon, but we should be better than that. Reputation means everything.

Exactly the point why I posted . Ive never heard of Bobby Poll . But ive bought items with autographrefrence certs and had zero problems with the authentication. I bought the autograph on the basis it was an authentic autograph , not cause of the authentication company . After seeing all the good items with this cert card , I figured they have some clue to sports autographs .
To many times people pass on authentic autographs because of the cert . Or buy a bad autograph because it came with a big name cert .
As for the game used claim . The original seller may have meant the ball is the one used in the game . Not actually game used in actual game . I would ask seller for proof autograph refrence sold them this ball saying it was game used . A smart dealer should print all records of items bought and print out the descreption of the item that was published .
I also googled autograph refrence . I only found one problem , it was a Roger Maris autograph convo on net54 . Other that , it was all positive stuff . So I dont know if you have more negative story on them George . But can you post them if you do .

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service