We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

alright, i originally posted this in the "what's new in your collection" section. but i think it bares repeating AND something that collectors should take note of.

here's my original post (edited from my original that had a bunch of in person signing stories).

"alright... pet peeve... what's with these people and the white, computer photo paper? the idiot collectors in cleveland don't buy photos or get albums signed, they all just have a never ending supply of white photo paper that they apparently print a photo over the top of later! it was starting when i left L.A., but it's gotten full blown B.S... do any of you folks buy this stuff? when they print a pic over the top, it looks like a pre printed signature. yucky and gross. i guess it makes sense. but call me an old fuddy duddy, get a doggone picture!!!"

there's pros and cons from a business standpoint. such as, it saves money on pictures that you don't have to print until you already have the autograph. and all you can do with an index card is matte and frame it. which gets expensive. and if you really need a nude photo of someone like paris hilton or drew barrymore, this is the only way to do it as they won't now, nor ever, have touched these pictures. so you can put just about any photo on that paper. 

the major con, to me, is that it's not a true photo. you have to print the photo over the top of the autograph. causing the autograph to look indented into the picture. like a pre printed signature. you apparently have to get these signed in black as blue really does look horrible and even more like the autograph is part of the picture. remember, to print out a photo, you have to print ink over the top of the signature on the whole piece of paper. 

but the people selling these items are selling them as signed photos and you basically have to ask them and hope they tell you the truth, if it's a signed photo or signed computer paper with a photo later printed on it. some kids in cleveland were featured on television prior to the rock n roll hall of fame. touted as "professional autograph seekers." they showed a few of their autographs on tv and when i asked them if THOSE photos were computer paper or true photos, they told me computer paper. 

it was starting to get big in l.a. when i left. some of the poorer autograph collectors/dealers were starting to do this and i've actually had a few in my hands, but i can't put a photo over it and sell it like that. i've tried, like i stated, with an eddie vedder, and it didn't work out too well for me and i was uncomfortable with it. i GAVE it to a pearl jam fan! and i know it started in New York and has trickled it's way across the country. but it appears that newer kids are doing this as their entire business. not ever getting an album or photo signed. 

but my real question is... what do you think? is this good for the hobby or bad. personally, i think it's bad. plus, i don't even know what one of these photo looks like 10 years from now. will the autograph fade faster? will it get halos around the signature and look like a blob? i don't know. let me and US know what you think!

Views: 2327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Mike, I am not a fan of the 'white sheets' either especially if the collector resells the items and does not explain what the item is.

For me the real issue is the simple fact is that the end product is not a real photo. Even with the best metallic inks and the best paper they still fade quickly.

Last year at Comic-Con San Diego I overheard one LA collector say if it was not for the white sheets he could not afford to be in the autograph collecting and selling business. It was a hot topic of discussion that week amongst all the collectors I know.

To those who utilize white sheets and resell them please be sure to let your buyers know that the photos are not lab developed prints. I think that is only fair.

I totally understand the benefit of the white sheets for sure. However, even if you don't resell them, why would you want to work so hard to get an autograph and then one day in the not too distant future will be faded and ruined?

Regarding the seller who "couldnt afford it" if he had to buy real photos...

TOO BAD! Find another business then.

If you don't have enough respect for the customers to care about quality, you don't belong in business.
I made a blog entry regarding this topic.

Kodachrome or Koda-Crap?

http://zipper68.blogspot.com/

I have a few photo sheets that had a photo on it for 10 years now, and they are still in good shape.  Red and Gold Paint pens are horrible on them for one...(Gold does flake off)...

Now my general opinion is..they are not all that bad.  Admittingly you can not be prepared all the time for graphing to have the time to get a decent photo printed at home, in a store, or through a company. Sometimes you have only what, an hour notice to get somewhere to meet someone.  A photo sheet and sharpie is best to have in your car or handy to get there and get a graph quickly.  I have never noticed a signature looking any different when the photo is printed before or after, nor do they look any different I have found on professional prints. 

Many people doing this is why some people like TNA/WWE star Mickie James wont sign photo paper because pictures from her past can be printed on them.  Even Jennifer Coolidge wont sign them (has a long drawn out reason for it.)... but when in a pinch, I do not see a problem with them.  Selling tho, I would rather buy an 8x10 professional done...

Also... keep in mind, how many of us have LEFT OVER PHOTOS that we may not have any chance of getting signed because the celeb either didnt sign, or would only do one.  The photo paper prevents waste at times in my opinion

Selling the white sheets as is..yeah..I agree...but using them for collections...I still dont see it like that..  I have seen incidents that someone would sign everything you had...if you only brought a 2 photos....having extra items help too.  Im not saying mine is right or wrong...not saying you are right or wrong..just sharing opinions...   I have known a friend who one time... could ONLY GET white sheets signed.  There was a Football player that would not sign for anyone, anything, except blank paper.  So, he went to the store, got some sheets, and got the guys sig on that, and still has them to this day.. they are helpful more than people think. 

Most people should also be smart enough to know the difference between signed 8x10 and signed 8.5x11...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service