We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hello all please see this Bob Dylan 1978 signed concert poster. Would love to know your thoughts on authenticity. Thanks in advance :)

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks drawn, and no, I don’t believe Dylan signed this.

Roger Epperson has deemed this authentic via a quick opinion. Do any members have additional feedback on this one?

I’m leaning toward it being real.  Yes, it looks a little awkward, but that could be down to the circumstances in which it was signed.  The style is certainly consistent with genuine 1978 Dylan autographs I’ve seen.

I saw this poster last week and thought I commented on it but I guess not. I would have said that I think there's a good chance it's real but I'd get Roger Epperson on it.

Since he thinks it's good, Carlos, I think you're safe buying it.

I think this is good too.

Here is one of my in-person examples for comparison.

Kinda cool that the shows on April fools day. 

Haha he is a man of many tricks after all!

I'm leaning towards it being good, just sloppy. That being said, I certainly wouldn't buy it. For me, personally, I'm thinking long-term when I buy an autograph. So, do I want an autograph personalized to someone else, that somebody my kid is going to try to sell when I die and will she have a problem selling something that looks like this. The answer is -- yes. Or, does it even look good if displayed? Do I want people coming over to my man cave, and looking at autographs on the wall, that look like a 3rd grader wrote out, and THEY doubt it's real. No, I don't want that either. So I'd rather spent big bucks, on a nicer autograph (and truth be told, I don't want to spend big bucks on an autograph, but that's not the point). So unless you get this dirt cheap for a Dylan signature, I wouldn't think it's worth it.

Thank you Josh for this considered take. I understand your perspectives.
Bob Dylan being at the top to me and many others makes this an exception of sorts - it's not like I will ever meet the man to get one personalised (or not) myself. This probably applies to any personalised autograph, or letters and other ephemera from public figures that go on to become coveted collectors items. Half the Beatles items in circulation.
I think a piece can tell its own story. Increasingly the uniqueness factor holds more appeal to me than, say, something mass-produced signed systematically for profit. And the context of the type of collection it resides in can also add meaning, and ultimately value (in the eye of the beholder). Personally the financial prospects are secondary to the experience of being a fan, and seeking that rush of having a small piece of one's so-called heroes.
As far as Dylan goes, this was a good deal for a nice big bold unique signature with respectable provenance, and I consider myself lucky to be its second owner.

....and speaking of Roger Epperson (and I might be butchering this story), he tells this story of getting the Rolling Stones signatures on a guitar. He got them HIMSELF, so there's no doubt they're real, yet Mick signed it from the backseat of a car (if memory serves) but wrote out his name like a 1st grader, and it looks nothing like his signature, yet HE knows it's real. He got the item signed!!! And it's the same thing as that. I believe Roger, but it doesn't mean I'd want to buy that item from him.

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone! I am pleased this is a new addition to my collection having considered various possibilities but wanting to secure the deal. Dylan's signing habits are strange for sure!

Carlos, two things (and you won't like either). First, I was lucky enough 25 years ago, to buy a "Blood on the Tracks" (one of my all time favorite albums by ANY artist), for $580 at auction. Had it gone over 600 bucks, I would have stopped bidding. I'm glad it didn't. He wrote "best wishes" too, which is great, because just as your personalized piece, it's more in his hand.

Second, please, please, please...tell us what you paid for it. You mentioned a bold signature at a good price. We want to know!!!!!!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service