We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hello! Would love opinions on the authenticity of the Bob Dylan poem and signature. I would love to get it encapsulated by PSA, and sent it off to them and just received it back as “questionable authenticity”. I contacted Roger Epperson who said his opinion is that it is authentic. I’ve also done some research into Dylan autographs and it seems they are frequently difficult to authenticate as his signature varies greatly. Anyhow, is it real? And if so, do I send back to PSA for a second try at encapsulation?

Thank you!

Tags: Bob, Dylan, Epperson

Views: 1918

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would suggest that you give a great deal of consideration to PSA’s opinion. This was sent in for full authentication and the result was “questionable authenticity.” Correct? There are too many similarities to the item I posted, right down to the misspelling of “silhouette.” I would seek additional opinions before sending it in for authentication.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I sent it into PSA for full authentication and the response from PSA was “questionable authenticity”. I emailed it to Roger for a quick opinion after doing my research and understanding that Roger’s opinion is trusted much more than PSA when it specifically comes to music autographs. Yes, it was just a quick opinion from Roger based on the photo I shared in this post. But, still helpful to have. 

Based on my research about Roger, I believe I would feel most confident trusting his full opinion on it in understanding if it’s most likely authentic. 

honestly, I personally do not know if it’s authentic. But let me ask you this- can you say more about why you think comparing the autograph photo with the same lyrics and misspelling leads you to believe the one I shared is fake? I am no expert (far far from it), but in my mind, if Bob dylan wrote a quote of the same lyrics and autographed beneath them around the same time, he may be likely to misspell the same words, so the comparison may actually provide support to the one I have is real? What am I not thinking through correctly?

please note- I’m not trying to be difficult or argue. I am not an autograph expert and I actually am not a big autograph collector either. I purchased the Bob dylan autograph from a questionable seller for a questionable price without any provenance and am aware there are many many fake dylan autographs in the market and that the real ones are hard to come by. 

BUT, that’s why I came here for opinions. :)

so please let me know. 

When reputable TPAs disagree, either could be correct. It isn’t always going to be one or the other. Did Dylan have a habit of misspelling “silhouette”? I haven’t looked for additional examples, but I doubt it. There seem to be too many nuances that match between the two writing examples, and not enough natural variance. The chances that authentic handwritten lyrics from Dylan would be sold at a low price are very slim. Put those things together with the negative PSA opinion and I believe that seeking additional opinions would be a good idea.

Thanks! I appreciate the further explanation of where you’re coming from. 

I posted here for those further opinions that you suggested, so hoping I hear from others.

and lastly (and again - not trying to be a tough cookie!), why would you say I should get other opinions rather than send to Roger for full review? I can understand if you recommend this to avoid potentially wasting my money on his services, but to me I am ok with that. Trying to understand if you have a different thought.

You only want to send it in if you have a high degree of confidence in its authenticity. It isn’t pointing that way, in my opinion.

+1

Thanks, Keith. Here’s another question from a newbie- do we know if the photo that was shared is authentic?

it was authenticated by “Gotta Have Rock and Roll” (link below). Is this a reputable TPA?

https://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/bob-dylan-handwritten-and-sign...

again, not looking for conflict here! Of course, I’d love to have a real Dylan autograph so it would be incredible for this to turn out to be a real one, but looking for guidance from the experts here.

If Ballroom posted it as authentic its authentic.

Interesting

I know he says he doesn't track Dylan much, but he has excellent eyes and a memory of an elephant. Not to be dismissed.

I appreciate that! Will not dismiss.

I’m not a Dylan expert, but it surely looks more naturally written and signed to me. I certainly don’t believe that it’s a copy of your example.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service