We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

BONO Surrender: 40 songs, One Story - Signed Edition WATERSTONES

Views: 32364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers.

These are flat-signed, not tipped-in.  I believe they were signed when Bono visited the Waterstones store at Gower Street, London a week or so ago.

+1 me too  Jason H I'm planning to cut it and square it off perfectly, display it with The Joshua Tree album cover, all within an album sized frame :)

I'd love to see the results if you decide to get this done. You would be deleting the context of him signing the book but it will enhance your enjoyment of his signature. Its a tough decision for sure and a very personal choice. 

exactly Jason H, I agree with you that a sig in a book doesn't really do it for me.

I like to be able to wall display it where I can admire it daily anytime I want.

Now while cutting books may not be ideal, I keep the book, page cuttings, invoices, shipping copies etc. in case in the future I want to get the autograph authenticated by Roger Epperson, Becketts, JSA etc. (Any proof that will ensure a pass). Like you Jason I've cut many autographs out of books carefully and "balanced" and when you put them in a matte with their most popular album or work, in an album frame...DAMN do they look nice. And then when you show it off to friends and family, I love to hear their accolades and kudos!

Hi Jimmy,

Would you be interested in trading your Waterstones copy for my tipped in full page signature, if you plan to cut it out?

Hey Tom Brewstein. Mine is on its way to me from Eason's actually.

I haven't seen it yet, and pray it's signed...

Once it's here, I'll think about it though...

Jason: I’m not a fan of cutting books, as you know, but it’s not my place to tell you what to do with your possessions.

From a purely practical point of view, you should be aware that Bono’s signature in these books, whilst perfectly formed, is quite small.  And, if your copies are signed to the title page, as opposed to the half-title or the end papers, then you won’t have more than a few millimetres empty space to play with.

I'm still undecided. I'll scan and print a copy to cut and mat first to try it out, see how it looks and how I feel about it. You're right about spacing and it would be another factor. I know you won't approve of this but ive cut about 15 more books since my Bernie Taupin post. The Taupin book is staying intact for sure. The others I've cut are all bookplates or tip-ins where the book is not rare at all. Im very happy with the results. I dont want to get into it too much on here since there is another thread made for this topic. I definitely respect your opinion but Im just really not a fan of having an autograph in a book. I may briefly open the book once a year to glance at the autograph and move on.. This is one I really want to enjoy outside off the book. In the end, Ill probably agree with you overall and leave it as is but time will tell 

You might be able to find a copy of the book with a tip-in sheet that arrived with shipping damage for less money than normal markup on eBay.  I got a signed Tom Hanks uncommon type with some damage to the cover for slightly over the cover price to make use of it for a cut signature. Somebody out there has one that got water damage, was mangled by the USPS, or some other circumstances where the sig is fine but the book is a loss. Worth a look before you cut up one that is in good condition.  I'm guessing anyone selling a damaged copy might be willing to negotiate. 

I always think that way but it never quite turns out. I've only ever been able to find 1 book that I negotiated cheaper than what I could find one in perfect condition for. Even in the other thread how I mentioned about Neil Patrick Harris. There is a damaged book on ebay currently for $10.99 and I told them I had an offer on one in perfect condition for $9 total, including shipping.. they wouldnt match. people still have way too high of expectations with damaged books. 

The one I actually did get a deal on was a Jerry Seinfeld book. They listed it as damaged and came from a smokers home. I don't smoke and have a pretty sensitive nose. of course it arrived completely undamaged, no smell at all. I wonder if there was some kind of a mixup.. So even when I think I found a damaged book to cut, it comes undamaged and I again question cutting it, which was the whole reason I bought it in the 1st place.. Its a funny situation, still a great deal, but finding deals on damaged books to cut vs undamaged hasn't worked out much for me 

I would gladly trade my US version, signed on a full blank page, for your flat signed title page copy, if you want more room around the signature,

Tom, thanks for the offer but I ended up taking my own advice from my post the other night and called all the Barnes and Noble stores around the St Louis area. Out of all of them, only one store said they had only 1 copy in stock. They held it for me. No membership required. I thought it was a mistake, drove 2 hours to get there and when I tried to claim it, they couldn't find it.. I thought it was too good to be true, but then looking around the store, I found a copy mixed in with other random books on a cart not too far from the cashier. Opened it up and sure enough, it was the signed copy. The girl that held it for me last night decided not to attach my name or phone number to the book like all the other books being held for customers behind the counter. It was however  marked reserved in their system. They apologized and I ended up scoring the book. I can guarantee every Barnes and Noble in the st louis area is now out of stock. Some said its possible they will get some for black friday but no guarantee. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service