We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I want to word this as senitive as possible, with the year 2016 becoming one of the major years of shock of loss. David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Gene Wilder..Etc.

Today we learned of the passing of Carrie Fisher and sadly as the years go on we will continue to lose more of the people we admirer.

With that loss we see both the initial skyrocketed prices and those buyers quick to own something touched or signed by that person: A connection.

Those people who sell are thought of (by some) as profitting off of the death. Do you believe this is fair? The demand is obviously there, people who waited and missed out before they passed, so is it fair to blame the dealer?

I am personally mixed, I like to think of the collecting universe, as a place where people only buy or obtain those they care about, but this is of course the real world and for many it is a buisness.

What are your opinions on this strike when the iron is hot mentallity?

Views: 1249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with everything said above, now is not the time to buy a Carrie Fisher autograph, but not for the reasons many think. Yes, Carrie signed at shows and at book signings, and there are lots of real items out there. Her passing has all the TTM secretarial autographs hitting the market with a vengeance. I have watched authentic pieces sell for $30 and complete fakes sell for $300 in the past couple of days, and it all seems to be the same 10-20 photos.

There are plenty of rare and different images really signed by Carrie that used to sell for $300-$500, when she was alive. The big question now is, when will these emotional buyers realize that what they paid a fortune for, is fake?      

What will those rare images sell for in the future?

I think it is a double edged sword to be honest.  On one hand, you have a "collector" who didn't bother owning the person's autograph until they passed away; then there is the "dealer" who decides to utilize death as an opportunity for profit- both are at a fault in my opinion.  If you were really a fan or really desired the person's autograph, why did you wait until the death of said individual?

However, nothing is more annoying than committing to purchase/pay for an autograph on an auction site like eBay and have that dealer cancel the sale and relist it for a higher price due to the death of that celebrity.  

Well I can't really fault a buyer for wanting to own an autograph after the person passes. For one, there is a scarcity worry, that somehow they will all be purchased up. Which is usually ridiculous, but that is how people think. Another is it sparks a natural emotion in a person which is understandable. I will buy autographs and not open them until I have watched a persons movie or have read a book on them. I want to be really into whatever I am opening at that specific time otherwise it is really not that important. I am not going to open a Carrie Fisher autograph when I am really obsessed with Star Trek at the moment. I am not going to open a John Lennon autograph when I am really into the Rolling Stones right now.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service