Just saw someone's recent Elvis post and thought I would add mine to a discussion.  This came directly from Perry Cox, obviously, a highly reputable source.  A COA from Perry as well.  I've always felt the signature (on a 5 x 7 magazine page) was a little too shaky, with stops-and-starts and it concerned me at the time. However, given Perry's confidence and assurance, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to purchase it. I remember that Perry had explained to me, at that time, that Elvis went through some periods of being in an "altered state" and that could possibly explain it's shakiness.  Just wanted to see if any of you with more experience than I in this area than I had any opinions on this. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you...

Views: 3294

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed you are correct

I just don't know where it will go from here

Ima a big Elvis fan and would like conclusive evidence on your item.

Unfortunately I wonder if Epperson, Consola, Cox and AML members could come to a unanimous decision?

I've looked at it enough to definitely lean towards authentic

Are you willing to send it to those 3 for in hand inspection?

Again, why not post the high resolution scan you just made here for this discussion?

So the only “pro authenticator” who thinks it’s good is the guy who sold it? Go figure......

Badabing !!!

and that's what makes this story so odd

Might be good at Beatles stuff, maybe Elvis too. I don’t know but this is a prime example of an autograph dealer giving his own item the “benefit of the doubt”.

i’d take Roger on Elvis over the other two. My opinion anyway. To say anybody is impeccable is a stretch. Much of that is as a business person in general. They have all been wrong before and they will all be wrong again. Too think their mistakes are very very rare is also inaccurate.

+1

Well

Now you are getting defensive and not being neutral

As I stated... would you be willing to ship this Elvis to the best known authenticators for in hand examination?

Yes I know it takes time and costs money... but it's already been 17 yrs and still uncertain except by one single person.

You can argue til the cows come home your case that it's authentic but the fact remains, all you are doing is beating a dead horse because you like to converse. And it seems to be a theme in most of your threads.

As Rick pointed out... only one person is calling this Elvis authentic.

17 years ago there were signatures out there fooling all the best. Secretarial signatures, Michael Jackson signatures to name a few. Signatures that were passed by the best. Those signatures don’t pass the same authenticators 17 years later. Just saying..........

Anywhere an opinion is used rather then actual provenance or seeing it signed there is a chance it is not authentic. So you’re right. No signature that doesn’t have either is at best 99% to me.

I’m not judging the guy cause I’ve never done business with him. A lot of people I know really like him and I value their opinions. I’m always skeptical about those who authenticate their own signatures for sale. What happens when there is a tweener like this one? 

Curious, who does Perry Cox accept to override his own opinion? Does he have a list of those he would accept? Asking cause I don’t know. Obviously none of the three authentication jokes are on his level.

Also curious if he has refunded you any money after 17 years. Are you just assuming this based on his word or has he actually stroked you a check for a mistake? If he hasn’t written you a check after 17 years then you’re just guessing. Until that happens you don’t know if he will or he won’t. 

I’m not guessing, I guarantee it as does Perry Cox.  I’m not getting a refund because I’m not returning it. I’m sure He would love for me to return it because he would be able to sell it now for 10x what I paid for it. 

I don't know who's better on Elvis, Rich or Roger, but both are extremely good from what I've seen.

Rich's sole focus is Elvis authentication and sales, and I think that's been his focus since the 1980s.

Roger has probably authenticated more Elvis autographs in the last 10 years or so, since he's very active in music authentication. 

It sounds like Rich feels there's a decent chance it's real but isn't sure enough to put his name behind it. I respect that.

I'm especially impressed with how much time and effort Rich has put into this piece for a $30 opinion. He could have said Yes/No/I'm not sure and left it at that. That would have been fair value for $30. But from what Rfitzz shared with me, Rich spent a lot of time over a few days studying the piece and getting opinions from others whose opinions he values. That's closer to $300 value than $30.

That's pretty cool

The fact that he's really trying to get this figured out and putting his money down does indeed mean something

I hope it get's resolved is all I can say

Or it could remain inconclusive forever... who knows

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service