We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Fake charity items from PSA Productions.....Jordan, Lebron, DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Aaron Rogers, etc.

I mentioned this here last year and nobody responded. There is a company here in Phoenix called Mountainside Fitness, to which I belong. They are again setting up a charity auction from a company called PSA Productions run by a guy, Jim Johnson (pretty sure that is his name). They set up inside the health club and have bidding sheets. Just about everything is fake, with the exception of a PSA Magic and Bird and a JSA Cincinnati Reds signed photo with Rose, Bench.

All of the fake items are certified by GA, yes, Steve Sipe. Everything is elaborately matted and framed to throw off any suspicion.

The banners at the tables all have large PSA lettering so it appears that PSA is the company offering the goods, when in fact it is someone taking advantage of the PSA name recognition.

I of course asked to speak with the general manager. No surprise, he isn't available. They offer me their corporate number, nobody answers and they ask you to leave a message. Again, no surprise, no return phone call. This really p***** me off. I went up to every person I saw looking at the items and warned them to not bid. My first inclination was to write "fake signature" on the bidding sheets. My daughter talked me out of it, because she thinks we will get kicked out.

They were offering Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Lebron James, Aaron Rogers, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, and Ted Williams. Just about every item was around $400 in the bidding.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about contacting the local newspaper, not really sure of anyone cares besides us. If you live in Arizona and have a Mountainside Fitness near you, go in and see if they have the same set up. Maybe if more people called to complain, they would do something.

Views: 6117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a shame that stickers and "COAs" mean more to people than actual autograph knowledge.

Ryan before I came to this forum, I would have easily been fooled by a COA.  My thought would have been - nobody would fake that because its illegal, and they'd get caught!  People believe that they are legit and are trusting that those selling have done the homework for them.  Its naivety at its best.  Unfortunately this hobby is infected -wait, more than infected, with scumbags waiting for trusting folks.  Its truly sad.  It seems just in the little time I've been here that most scammers don't care if they are outed, because nothing happens to them.  And it seems like they've quadrupled if not more!  Its disgusting.

Yup there is no deterrent currently. Worst case your eBay account gets shut down or your "COA" gets put in a title on this site. Whoopdie dooo, make a new eBay ID, and print a new "COA" until you get caught again. Give eBay their cut, rinse & repeat. 

What we really need is to educate the buyers. An ESPN/CNN/or 20-20 special would go a longgggggg way. Even if someone would just do a 30 for 30 film on "Operation Bullpen", although I did read awhile back that someone bought the movie rights to that, so maybe when that comes out people will be more aware.

Steve, maybe e-mail Darren Rovell and let him know what's going on, he is OK with stirring up the pot. These buyers need to be warned about ANY "COA" and just how many forgeries are out there--SPECIFICALLY on eBay. If we want to see these forgeries slow down, then we have to stop people from BUYING them. The best way to do that is to educate. 

Who is Darren Rovell? Sounds familiar, but not sure.

Darren Rovell is an ESPN Sports Business Reporter and also has ties to ABC. He is readily available on Twitter @darrenrovell and I'm sure you could find his e-mail somewhere on his site. He is a collector as well, so perhaps it will spark some interest from him and he certainly has the platform (and attitude) for breaking news.

I think I might just try and contact him.

You summed it up nicely. I went to a paid autograph signing over the weekend by two former players, not Hall of Famers, but good player. When I got there, it was a mob scene. One player was sold out but the promoter had just gotten permission to add 100 extra autograph tickets for him. The other player had a modest line of customers. On the side, there was a dealer with 4-5 tables, selling blank phots ect of the players to buy and get signed. They also had a sign that read "COA Stickers $5" I stood there watching the people leave the line and buying these stickers to place on their newly signed items and acting like they needed to buy the sticker for proof. I asked an elderly couple who was in line to buy several COA stickers for there items, why is it important. They said any item that comes with a COA, is 100% real and that they needed to buy them so their grandkids can prove authenticity in the future when they sell for a huge profit. These autograph signing are flooded with non-collectors with no common sense or knowledge. Their grandkids will never be able to make money back they spent on those items as both players have millions each out in the hobby already.

Wow, Dom.  Unbelievable.

It's just amazing Mr. Williams that most of the people getting the autographs were not what we consider knowledgeable autograph collectors. They are just so native about the industry but somehow are willing to spend any amounts of money. One woman walked by the area of the mall where the signing took place with her little daughter 8-12 years probably. She started asking me "What is this?" "WHO are they?" After I explained it was a paid autograph signing for 2 former players and that the prices were starting $59 & $29 for either signature, she asked me..."Were they any good?" I said yes and then broke down the prices for her (why balls & helmets cost more that flats ect). She then saw the players posing for pictures with the fans and then got in line to purchase tickets for 2 players she never even heard of. Then I spoke to the elderly couple that had to be retired. They were telling me that his wife had met some of the Celtics back in the 80's at some function her work put on. She was able to get Larry Bird, Kevin Mchale and some others to sign a piece of paper. The husband said they were going to sell it to surprise their grandson with a car. I told the guy in all honesty, it wasn't worth close to what he had imagined and then he got upset and said I just wanted it for myself & was jealous. Funny cause I never showed any interest in item at all.

Definitely a shame Ryan.  Most people on an autograph site on facebook always ask first as to what kind of COA it has.  Not how did you get it?  Or is that an IP nothing like that.  Its what Coa does it have?

Just lame. 

Chris, I completely agree. I'm not even really sure who I am most upset with. The creeps that forge this crap? The jackass authenticators who legitimize it? The putz's who sell it? Or, the businesses who provide a place for all of this to come together?

Steve, how about "All Of The Above."

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service