We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hello I'm new to the site, I run a little shop in Illinois called Vintage Villains, I collect autographs personally from Horror Cons that I obtain myself and I don't normally buy from people since i'm not good at spotting forgeries.  

So today I had a customer bring me a poster that he was givin as a gift a number of years ago, no certificate.  The Poster is Batman & Robin and it contains autographs from Arnold, Uma and George Clooney.  The poster itself looks like a promotional piece sealed from behind and framed with 8x10s matted in the bottom along with a plaque with all three of their names.  The problem I'm seeing is the Clooney Auto does not look to be authentic.  Any insight as to where this poster may have come from would be awesome.

Cheers!

-Christopher

Views: 484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like any Cloon I've ever seen. His quick signature can be quite ugly, looking like two sickly, melting "G"s, but I've never seen a fuller one with the flourish under the "L" like that, a "C" that closed, or the rest of his first name following that "G" bowed up like that.

Thats a shame, oh well it was donated to our shop as a piece to fill some bare wall space, he just wanted to get rid of it he said since he hadn't been able to find anyplace to hang in since it had been given to him since its huge and very very heavy.  Thanks for the help =)

-Christopher

Terrible as that movie was, still always loved that poster. Maybe you can pick up a genuine photo and swap it out!

Agree with J.C, never seen him sign like this. His is just the initials overlapping rather than so flourished like this and I think you're right that this is fake

I've seen a few signatures that look like this floating around on ebay, but looking at signatures on ebay to someone like myself who knows nothing about sigs is pretty much pointless.  Maybe you guys could answer this then since i'm new to this and you guys obviously see stuff like this all the time.. why would someone go to that length for a forgery? I used to work in a framing shop a few years back and to have this piece framed would have been a few hundred dollars.. I would think that unless someone could get thousands out of a signature that endeavor wouldn't of been worth it.. I don't know what the three combined would fetch but I can't imagine much.. I saw someone who posted a Metallica guitar earlier as well that was mounted in a shadow box and thought man if it is fake.. the set up alone probably cost $400 or up.. Like I said in my post I have a lot of signatures 98% horror based that I've obtained personally so I've never gotten into buying so I don't really know the lengths people go to in order to rip people off

-Christopher

I'd say because big display pieces give the impression of legitimacy and can have insane turnover to people who want an impressive, high-end piece (many of whom don't know any better). Anybody on this site can tell you about the absurd price of "cast-signed" posters and such for a great example - they become executive gifts and bragging rights pieces. For all the cost of framing (I do a lot of framing myself, and I've made some very impressive pieces on the cheap - I just shadowboxed a game-worn baseball jersey for $20 thanks to proper coupons), it's probably nothing compared to j****** up the price around the time of the movie's release (keep in mind, it was the excessive and unabashed 90s) and making that a $1,000 item or whatnot.

If you look at a company called Antiquities of California, their displays looks absolutely amazing.  However, I think it's safe to say pretty much every autograph they sell is fake.

Hi Christopher, it's good it was donated and can be a talking piece if nothing else. I've known many buyers pay hundreds for photos, get them framed and when years later they look to sell if the person dies etc they get a huge shock to find out the item is worthless.

There are also forgers who use frames to make the item look high end and sell for big bucks to unsuspecting buyers and it often works.

fake

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service