We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

James Stewart Autographs: Which are Genuine, Autopens or Forgeries?

Isn't this an Autopen signature?

Ebay auction

Views: 26481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Regarding the generically inscribed "Best Wishes" signatures...

We need to be cautious with these. I have noticed a number of these and they tend to come from European sellers. It may be nothing, but it also may be a pattern worth noting.

notice on this, his own signature and most genuine he is creating an underline beneath Stewart and he crossed both Ts by removing the writing device (i.e. no flow continuation)

BTW, I altered the title of this thread and removed the dealer's name. It's really not about him... let's keep the focus on studying Stewart autographs.

I've learned to be wary of the Best Wishes inscription as well. This kind I see all the time.

I consider them as being some of the worst of the forgeries.

__

This JSA authenticated It's A Wonderful Life photo sold for a whopping $101 recently.

I wonder why all of these are signed so alike in a way that authentic signatures aren't. Same with a lot of the Harvey drawings. Not to mention that they're pretty weak in terms of comparison against real examples. I only see these S's in Stewart on items signed in blue it seems. Why can't JSA pick up on this stuff? Also... there's never very much or sometimes any space between the James and Stewart.

Another thing I noticed was that 10 out of the 19 James Stewart signatures with GAI certs I found typing in "Jimmy Stewart GAI signed" had underlines under them. And 5 out of 7 signatures with GAI certs I found typing in "James Stewart GAI signed" had underlines under them, with some overlap from ones I found typing in Jimmy Stewart. Heh, that seems like a hell of a lot.

I'm not sure whether that other one I posted was an autopen pattern or not. It isn't angled up James Stewart's shoulder like the other autopens I've seen on that photo are. It also appears to be signed by a thicker tip. It does have an air of suspicion.

Here's a contract from historyforsale where James Stewart adds his signature intended for reproduction. I suppose it could be added to the files. I'm not sure I've ever seen it anywhere else though.

By the way, Brick. This is an excellent post. It sums up my feelings exactly in regard to all of these issues.... the generic "Best Wishes" (some of which are more deceptive than the example above)... the blue IAWL and Harvey SPs... etc.

Great Point Zip...  That I believe was also "the vanderhoven's" point on the Gleasons as well

This guy on eBay has listed four Harvey sketches in the last month. All authenticated by JSA with basic certificates. When he's not selling these, he lists dozens of Bob Kane sketches and Peanuts pictures autographed by Charles Schultz. Those come with authentication from GA/GAI.

Here are the signatures from the four sketches.

It's the same forgery signature (and not a particularly impressive one) someone learned over and over again. Just everything about it. Which is why I don't understand why JSA would authenticate them and the autopen signatures. It is interesting that these signed sketches used to sell for close to $100. Now they're hovering in the $40-60 range. Maybe buyers are making the right connection?

I'm not following this thread closely. Who agrees with Brick that these are forgeries?

I'm not sure why this junk is being authenticated by JSA. Here's a glimpse of the It's a Wonderful Life photos. All authenticated by JSA. One of these guys had eight available at one point.

The structure of all of them is very, very similar. They don't match up with authentic exemplars.

This is a case of where it's understandable that one or two may sneak by. Stewart's signature varied anough and was sometimes sloppy enough that one of these **could** be real.

However, you need to identify patterns over time. The same slightly atypical signature coming from the same source in quantity is a problem.

It's harder to have an underlined signature and look like this.

amongst other things while not mentioning it looks like it went left to right and especially the "last" T.  Where is (or was) this one from?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service