We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, I would welcome thoughts about the authenticity of this 1955 Senator John Kennedy letter.  Thanks, Tim

Views: 916

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The RR example is listed on page 35 of the Andreas book image 103. This is listed as authentic. So, this would leave the other document not JFK - If we believe RR and Andreas. Forget PSA - they play dice.

What RR example are you referring to? Those originally shown by Rfitzee? Example 1 of Tim H? Example 2 of Tim H? Or the example I just pointed out in the upcoming RR rarities auction?

Michael can you post a photo of the page that you are referring to ? I'm getting more and more confused... thanks

this one  

Here are two sen.…………………...

From this I see that secretary “jm” is not the the source of the strange K. Although I cannot see the end of “Kennedy” on the jm letter, the form of the K seems more in line with what I expect from jfk in 1955 compared to example 2

According to RR and Andreas "JM" is authentic. 

The "jm" in the post of "Here are two sen.……" ?  I would agree, that definitely fits the authentic style from that time period.  As discussed earlier, the letter from Tim was also typed by "jm" and is a very different style... which only means to me that we can dismiss the theory about the typist always being the signer...

Andreas RR

In the Andreas book #103 and #104, I have no problem accepting both of these as genuine because even though the format for “John” varies, in both of these examples, the K in Kennedy is what I would expect where the k actually looks more like “le” and is upright as opposed to the capitol K shown on some examples or the hanging loop shown in the Rr rarities auction coming up

Agreed

Thanks Michael, yes, these are certainly more in line with what to expect from 1955.  The odd thing is, as I've said before, that "V" style "K" was resurrected from an earlier timeframe (1950 - 1952) in both 1954 and 1955... very strange, in my opinion...to be resurrected by JFK or a secretary … more than likely a secretary though.

I don’t think you can dismiss the theory that the typist would be the signer; only that logic would tell you that were a letter to be secretarily signed, it would naturally be a letter that that particular secretary took dictation on, transcribed or signed—as opposed to signing work of ANOTHER secretary. I take this information from interviews with Evelyn Lincolnthat were either recorded or printed, and also LBJ’s secretaries ( those that would talk about how Mail was handled.

again you are trying to assign the scientific method to a process that was likely more random than we realize and that none of us outside the process will likely ever know for certain or understand.

this is why I approach presidential autographs quite simply into two piles—-those that at a glance I can immediately assign as genuine without further investigation—and everything else. For the everything else pile I might play out of interest unofficially but officially I regard it as a pipe dream and effectively throwing good money away. With the prices for JFK this second strategy can be an expensive proposition.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service