We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

LAURENCE OLIVIER- Second Opinions (Any Help Appreciated)

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking to add a Genuine LO autograph to my collection. I already have a Vivien amongst others but I am unsure which out of the four options I'll attach, I should go after.

Anyone with experience in collecting Laurence Olivier autographs or SP's, please check this thread and let me know your thoughts.

Photo 1- 1945 Laurence Olivier SP (please don't mind the companies watermark)- the seller (Eaby- George-Houle-books-autographs 100% reviews)

Photo 2- Laurence Olivier from HD-history Direct (Item HFSID152683)

Photo 3- Laurence Olivier collab with Joan Fontaine rare, The seller (Regans Autographs.net)

Photo 4- Really nice piece, collab signature from 1951 with Vivien Leigh on 'Program' from History Direct (Item# HFSID 76408)

I appreciate anyone who helps out 

Dan

Views: 1003

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Dan, at the very least that's what I would do. 

Are you familiar with differences between vintage photographs and later reproductions?  I don't mean that in a negative tone, I'm asking as a fellow collector.  Also, how ink ages over time?  If you are not, folks on this board can be helpful in learning about these and more.

To repeat myself from an earlier thread, and I mean it in the nicest way, be very sure of what you want if ordering from HFS.  Again, read their eBay policy:  SELLER DOES NOT ACCEPT RETURNS.  Unless there is one set of policies for eBay customers and another set of policies for website customers, I'd take the return policy on eBay at face value on any transactions. This advice is from personal experience....and I've been a repeat customer over time.

All that being said, if you are serious about #2....yes indeed...... definitely ask for more scans for study.

I've been telling Dan to read my "My Page" and see the link to the cycleback site which contains just about all there is to know about photography.

As for HFS Terms:

"A purchase shall not be considered an "approval" sale. If any substantial defect not described in the listing is found by the purchaser, the item(s) must be returned within two days of receipt. Item(s) may not be returned except for reasons of authenticity or substantial defect in description. We warrant to the original purchaser for a period of ten (10) years from the date of the sale the authenticity of any item purchased."

That is good for me. Never had a problem with them. Russel is a great guy as is the staff.

Sorry, Eric....I have to respectfully disagree. 

2 day windows for returns based only upon "substantial defect" and 10 year warranties on authenticity are just goofy in a collectible market as subjective as autographs.  Heck, if I'm not mistaken, the UACC of which they are members insists as part of a code of ethics that material sold has a lifetime authenticity guarantee by it's member dealers. 

Like I've said previously, I'm not here to throw shade on HFS.  I've been a regular customer and have some real jewels in my collection from them.  Like yourself,  I have also spoken to the current staff and those that proceeded them.  I go back about 25 years to the days of calling in in response to GALLERY OF HISTORY ads in the old AUTOGRAPH MAGAZINE.

I've just studied the hell out of anything that I've purchased before hitting the "pay" prompt in recent years.  My simple advice to anyone else to save any potential later headaches would be to do the same.

I have also been a buyer for some time - I had never had any trouble and have had the option of a return offered to me when I have asked about this or that. I believe most of the items I have that Dan likes were from them apart from the Lugosi.

"...I've just studied the hell out of anything that I've purchased before hitting the "pay" prompt in recent years.  ..."

That is true of everything in my world.

Perhaps ask Dr. Brucato?

Actually, Eric .... I'm done on this. Can we declare a truce? I don't think going back and forth with personal anecdotes about HFS policies will help Dan or anyone else.  

I did not realize we were having whatever it is you're done with, but I suppose I'm glad it's over? 

I liked the other versions of your post. Anyway, I can't declare a truce becuse I was not aware we were battling! :) Have a great day!

I do not quite understand the return policies. Is their eBay return policy different than their web site's? Also, I would recommend that purchases should be made directly at their web site. Here is their return policy on their web site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe -

It seems pretty straightforward in the Terms and Conditions of Sale on the HFS website:

"All sales are final, but may be rejected by the Gallery of History Inc. for any reason it deems appropriate, at its sole discretion".

That corresponds with the eBay notice of "Seller Does Not Accept Returns" .

I just pulled that off their web site this morning. There is a link to their authenticity guarantee on every listing page.

Joe -

I pulled out one of my old COA's from HFS ... here's the guarantee they send along with your receipt:

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service