We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I have two autographs of Mickey Mantle and I am having a hard time telling if it is real or fake.  I have read that a lot of fakes have a hard time with the "C" and "K" on Mickey. 

Also did Mantle pick up his pen or marker after his M's or was it one smooth motion?

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/109911454?profi...

IMG_0077%5B1%5D.JPG

Views: 616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately those 2 are common FORGERIES that's in todays market in the tens of thousands....as far as Mantle picking up the pen or marker after his M's I have seen them connected and disconnected in both portions of his name...but for the most part Disconnected....

I assumed they were forged.  As I try to understand these autographs, what were the common signs that showed you these were forged and what are some other common forgery characteristics?  Thanks for the reply.

Hey Nick...its that particular style...if you check my pictures there all fakes...the uneven last name and those particular M's are a huge give away....

Now I heard Mantle changed how he signed things.  How does this earlier autograph look?  I have just been looking at other Mantle autographs and how does this later autograph look?

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Im not sure exactly what year he changed from the style shown in your first pic, to the one we saw until his death (and even after, ugh).   But I do know that I had a yankee team ball from 1960, and I still have a '61 ball that has the newer loop, so he changed sometime in the 50's.

Thanks for the helping me figure out when he changed his signature.  It will help my understanding.

Mantle's signature from his early years is much different than the signature we have all come to recognize.

Hi Nick,

Here's an image with 15 examples of the most common type of Mickey Mantle forgeries.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/mantles-from-aafes-exchange...

Is there a real autograph I can compare to?  I am starting to figure out the reason why Mantle's autograph is so hard to figure out.  I have heard that about 70% of his autographs are forgeries.  Is that a true fact?  Also how rare would it be to find a Mantle autograph?  It seems like it would be rare since so many are forged.  Also thanks for the link.  

Nick,

Fuddjcal posted a blog with a link to his Mickey Mantles autographs on ImageShack, and they're all genuine unless he says otherwise (there may be a few forgeries posted...I forget). Here's the link to his blog:

http://live.autographmagazine.com/profiles/blogs/mickey-mantle-auth...

Nick

Besides the Mantles certified by PSA/DNA and JSA (they miss few Mantle forgeries), probably 98% are forgeries. 

Actually Nick in the Link Steve Posted I also posted an Authentic piece in my comment of one of my signed cards...totally authentic...you can see the dramatic differences...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service