We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Let's play you be the authenticator. Paul McCartney.

It's a thankless job being an authenticator. They provide an important service and have become quite influential in the hobby. But sometimes their professional opinions baffle me. Most of all, their final decisions can greatly determine the market value of any given autograph. Like getting a blessing from the Pope.

Here are two examples of a Paul McCartney signature. One passed authentication and the other did not. Same company. Different result. I'm old and my eye sight is as good as it used to be. Can you see a significant different between the two signatures?

Views: 1627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would concur that it definitely is the name of the game. The business end comes first. Authenticity and integrity, at best, a distant second.

with that said $150 is still $150 no matter who is spending it.

Don't want to turn this into a TPA discussion as much as an autograph discussion. Are both authentic? Both fakes? Or is there a noticeable difference? 

I've just looked at these two and compared them to a few others in felt tip in that style.

Both not real, in my "authenticator" opinion.  They look like drawings to my eyes.  The ticket, if signed at the event, seems like it would be a quicker signature.  The encapsulated one has no nuance to it and does not look natural....rather simplistic. 

I would be keen to have at least a short explanation from the authenticators as to what characteristics informed their respective decisions.

Thanks, Etienne. I have emailed the TPA concerning the two signatures in question and will see if or what their response might be. 

I will say that the signed ticket is from a honest, well established source and have a written provenance on how and when Paul signed the ticket. I also provided that when requesting the quick opinion.  I also know my source would have no reason to put his reputation on the line by making up a false narrative for a fast buck(he is a member here BTW). I personally believe both are genuine for what it's worth.

I appreciate your opinion.

Yes...if they provide responses I'm sure we would definitely be interested in knowing their reasons.

As we have discussed here many times, it only seems fair to provide detailed reasons for a specific piece and not the generic same worded "slant, flow, pressure etc." that seems to accompany every letter.

Sharing what you just did, it's ironic that the "failed" ticket signature has  provenance behind it and is from a reputable source. As I stated above, the ticket would seem like it would be a quicker signature if signed at the event. I'm curious, does the written provenance with the how and when specify that it was signed later?  

My source attended the concert and was at an after show gathering where Paul jammed until the wee hours at the morning. It was signed by Paul when he was finished jamming. Early in the morning of October 21, 2001.

That does help.  He was done for the day (or night!) and had a chance to focus...thus the nice clear signature! 

I'm not really a rock guy.  I guess I always just have this image of performers quickly making a scrawl when something is thrust before them. Paul does seem to be one of the last of those who actually does have handwriting that can be honestly called a discernable signature!

...Yes...if they provide responses I'm sure we would definitely be interested in knowing their reasons...."

But folks might learn and then revenue would go down...

As Phil Hartman doing Ed McMahon used to say:  "YES, You are correct Sir!"

the ticket is 100 percent real i should know it was signed for me .in fact its a very rare ticket not signed as its a 9/11 guest ticket.

it was signed at 5 am after alot of drink a celebrating at a private party for the concert that dint start till 2am.i attended it as a huest of one of the biggest stars of the night no it was paul someone just as big.

once again tpas fail it was signed in his hand on the rush as tone of cops and firemen and perfermormers all partied.

I liked the ticket myself of the two.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service