We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This one has been discussed before. It seemed the opinions were split equally between authentic and not. Thought I would throw this one up for further discussion. I believe it is genuine although it is a much neater signature than usual for Paul. At minimum, I find this and intriguing autograph. Your thoughts welcome.

Views: 1152

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any others want to chime in. As you can see this is another borderline autograph that we are seeing with more frequency lately.

I own this piece so I already have by bias. I haven't attempted to get this authenticated by a TPA because it costs quite a bit and I'm not sure if that will change minds.

Is this autograph in a position that I should simply tuck it away in my collection? Should I never or be able to offer it for sale or trade because the consensus is so evenly divided?

This becomes just as much a ethical as well as a legal issue. Do you not agree? 

IMO when up for sale it's not an ethical or legal issue IF...

It's just put up for sale without false representation.

There 's no need to print "authentic" or "real" etc...

If the jury is split then let your conscience be free and let the buyer decide

Why tuck away something that could be authentic. A seller is just as fallible as any TPA if trying to be honest. You didn't see it signed so you may never know.

Further...

The P is rather small and the overall feel is that it is deliberately neat, almost too neat. All the components seem proper but the sum of all the parts = question marks.

I guess my question comes from a previous discussion where there was a statement that someone who owns an autograph with a solid TPA certification and the autograph gets questioned or even disputed by another TPA service would the seller lack integrity if he/she still offers the item for sale. The perception is in the affirmative.

In fact, we see sellers who offer autographs frequently which are highly questioned and collectors blame the seller with equal veracity as they do the service.

Sometimes that puts the owner in a difficult spot. And, no matter what people say, autographs are an investment. We all can admit, I hope, that there are many grey areas in this hobby. 

I agree with Goodcat.  Overall, it appears authentic to me.  I have since done some further digging and saw some really bad, wild "authentic" signatures that mimic these qualities exactly, although sloppier than this example.

As always, it would be nice to have a stamp of approval from Caiazzo, Cox or Tracks, however, I don't think that there is any moral issue with regard to you selling it.  It is the obligation of the buyer to do his research and, ultimately, decide for him or herself.  The differing opinions of everyone who have voiced them are simply that, opinions. Even the so-called "experts" disagree from time to time.  Unless an expert, or community member, can definitively tie this to a known forger style, I would go on the assumption that it is authentic and have no problem selling it as such.  My two cents...

Longtime member Patrick Batson just posted this ALS on FB that Paul and Linda McCartney sent to a studio staffer many years ago. Only Paul signed it.

Look at the P!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service