We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hi,  I recently sent in a signed copy of the 1st Harry Potter book  to PSA to get a LOA.  The autograph was signed in person, and as far as I can tell, looks exactly like other authentic JK Rowling signatures I've seen.  I have no idea why they didn't authenticate it, but they were happy to take my money.

I know 100% it's authentic since I had it signed in person (i also have a ticket from the event), and now I'm out $100ish and have no LOA, which I only want in case I decide to sell it later on.  Is there anything I can do?  Any way to get a refund?  I called customer service - they were no help and said I couldn't talk to the person who review it.

thanks

Views: 2495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I disagree with you on this Josh.  

Spending the extra $$ on JSA or PSA will most always increase the value of an item.  Some collectors will only purchase items that have JSA or PSA.  I have done this numerous times to items that I got in person myself and the investment of the certificate has always paid off.  

Also - for insurance purposes I think having a certificate or record of a certificate helps with the value and authenticity of an item if something were to happen - Fire, theft etc..

And lastly - if anything ever happened to me - I would want my son to benefit for my hard work and get the most he can for my autographed items.  Having them already certified helps to insure that.

I look at a getting something certified is a way of protecting ones own investment.   

My 2 cents.. :)

Mark

exactly!!

great argument, Mark. Excellent points, and I have thought of doing the same for the same reasons.  but the fact that it does affect an item's value still gripes me.

I disagree.... When you are lucky one you can get really good proofs of authenticity of your signatures (pictures or even short video and everyone who gets in-person autograph remembers the story behind that - especially where it was signed, when (occasion)...) and then - there is zero reason why to get COA.

I even think that especially that awful stickers can degrade the value of item.... Look at it in long-term meaning - not one or two years, but let´s talk about 50 years, 100 years.... In 2015 you get great valuable autograph and you get it authenticated by any company... in 2020 that company can make a big mistake - which makes your COA from 2015 worthless (bad reputation sadly works with retroactivity) or in 2030 the company will simply end and nobody will know in 2050 who they were.... What your children will get from that COA in 2050? Nothing - it can even reduce the value of item.

So she was signing any book you brought at a fundraiser where sales of all books go to charity? And you have to surrender the ticket at the door, but you still have it?

I don't understand the first part of your question.  A portion of the sales of her books went to charity. What doesn't make sense about that?  As for the ticket - they didn't make us surrender it.  We showed the ticket and walked in.

This is the type of skepticism that leads me to wanting a PSA COA.  

I don't have a problem debating the merits (or lack thereof) of sending an in-person signature to PSA for "validation".  I will admit that the majority of the buyers do put a value on this type of authentication, but having seen the number of mistakes made by these authenticators, I am not one of them(buyers).

What I don't understand is why we continue to question this person's credibility?  I believe threads like this would deter potential members from wanting to sign up here.  

+1.

Again, you can't use the "spending $100 now for the long run" logic because...we do not know about the long run!

For example, I saw a book signed by her, that looked just like this...selling for $350 right now. So...to spend $100 for a cert, that's a 1/3 of the price.

And as screwy as my analogy was (and often are), let's again think about this. From now on...she starts signing for charity once a month. She sits down and signs ANYTHING if you pay $50, and it all goes to some charity she's fond of. Well...all of the sudden, the world is flooded with thousands of JK books. At that point, is a cert even going to be needed? Will the book even sell for enough to warrant spending the $100 now????

Thats the risk you take, will she loosen the flood gates and start signing thousands, could encounter an obnoxious seeker and never want to sign an autograph again. As of right now there is a Rowling book Prisoner of Azkaban on R and R auctions with a bid of $400. Assuming she only paid $20 bucks for the book, putting the extra $100 into authentication could be worth it considering she is currently a difficult autograph. None of us know what her future of signing holds or where Psa/Jsa will be in twenty years but as of right now today it makes sense to get a cert, people get burned and burned and burned and lose interest. Theres nothing wrong with somebody wanting a cert on a J. K. R Loop squiggle to make sure the autograph is the real deal and they own something that "OMG jk Rowling herself wrote her name on!!" ^.^ Psa screwed me on multiple in person autographs, I prefer Jsa but either of them will mess up plenty its the nature of the beast, always gets photos when you can.

which book?  "The Causal Vacancy"?  those usually go for between $2-400., as they are not as rare or sought after.  If it's a Harry Potter, please send me the link and if I know 100% it's authentic, I will purchase ASAP

Also - she very rarely signs HP books, even for charity... and any since 2007  have a hologram on them, which is why you know most of the ones for sale are fake - especially the last book

from her website:

Due to the very high demand for signed books by J.K. Rowling, these are now limited to selected charities and special circumstances.  Unfortunately there are unscrupulous people out there, who are only too ready to step into the breach and exploit Harry Potter fans, so we would like to add a note of caution.

As there has been an unfortunate increase in the number of forged signatures over the last few years, books genuinely signed by J.K. Rowling since the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in 2007, including her new novel The Casual Vacancy, now carry a hologram of authenticity.  

Any other item claiming authenticity, such as certificates, accompanying a signed book is not genuine or valid.

If you are planning on purchasing a signed book which was published prior to 2007, please be careful, as there is no guarantee the signature is genuine.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service