We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

PSA/DNA is making too many obvious mistakes-1967 Red Sox Team Ball with Clubhouse Yaz and Tony C.

It is getting to the point where recent opinions issued by PSA/DNA are losing their value, because of mistakes like this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Finest-1967-Boston-Red-Sox-AL-Champs-T...

The link takes you to a listing by Showpiecesports where the BIN price is $9995.00.  While a seller certainly can price a listing at any dollar value they so desire, even if this ball were 100% authentic, it is severely over-priced.

But the problem with this ball is that the two key signatures from that season, Carl Yastrzemski and Tony C., are obvious clubhouse signatures. See photos below:

for reference, here are authentic examples from 1967:

What is interesting is that the legit Tony C above, is being listed by the same seller as the one in the OP.   In reality, that ball with the clubhouse Yaz and Tony C. is likely worth about $350.00.

I doubt anyone would pay almost 10K for this ball, but the point is that the current group of authenticators at PSA/DNA are quite a step down from what it was 5 years ago.  

In all transparency, I do not utilize TPA's for my purchases, but I am not Anti-TPA because a couple of them truly try to get it right, and for novice collectors, their opinions can be important.  So they do have a place in this hobby full of criminals and crooks.

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very informative thread, Terrier.

It's 2020.  This is totally unacceptable for PSA to be making this type of glaring errors.

Thank you Chris.  If this were just a one off, I wouldn't have posted this, but it seems to be a troubling recent trend.

It's definitely been a trend lately.  My blog below show other PSA unacceptable screw-ups.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/profiles/blogs/psa-grades-counte...

Even as a one-off you should post it. It might save a collector from being buried on it. 

what is really unfortunate is that if it continues this downward trend, it will bring question into, and devalue, PSA/DNA certed items from the years when they actually had a qualified team rendering opinions.  Nothing is good about this.

You're right.  

Agree Terrier. This is one of the reasons I don't collect anything with a sticker attached to it. Things change.

This highly doubtful Vincent Price autograph was given a Basic Cert by PSA/DNA

the list is long, unfortunately

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service