We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I know she wasn’t a celebrity, but she might have become one.  She may have become an iconic music star or a world famous actress.  She might have become a celebrated author.  Perhaps she would have become a medical doctor or researcher and found a definitive cure for hiv or cancer.  Who knows...maybe she would have become the first female president of the United States!  Or maybe she would have been a really great wife and mother.  If her future was as bright as her smile, she was destined for greatness.  

But neither we nor her devastated, loving family will ever know because 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts’ life was stolen from her by a monster.  What we do know, at least by the accounts of those who knew her well, she was a caring, special young woman who will never be forgotten.  

I thought I would post this because Mollie’s non-famous life was every bit as important as the lives of all the celebrities that we admire.  It’s just heartbreaking that such a young, promising life was taken from the world far too soon.  So Rest In Peace, Mollie Tibbetts.  We are thinking of you.

Views: 1624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I said, when I mentioned a few weeks back about posting about non-autograph-related subjects, a RIP discussion wasn’t what I was thinking about.  I specifically even stated NON-political topics.  Some other members also liked that idea.  But I definitely don’t want to delve into politics.  I recently posted about the American sitcom TV show Cheers...and then autographs were brought up.  But just talking about Cheers is a pretty harmless topic.   After I saw Solo I really wanted to see what other Star Wars fans thought of it...and there are a lot here.

But another thing that can divide this sight is when we have bullies determining what we can post.  I’ve been on here for over four years now, and to be honest, at times this site (which I really like a lot) can feel cliquish.  And that can be a divisive thing.  This was ONE post about a tragic murder.  This has NOT been an ongoing problem.  If I were posting something like this all the time, then I might understand better.  But this was an innocent thread, and not at all controversial, until Josh stepped in.  That’s a fact. 

What I don’t want to see is a handful of members dominating and controlling what might be discussed...especially if it’s something innocent like a new movie release...or a new album release.  One thing that upsets Americans greatly is censorship.  This isn’t Putin’s Russia.

The idea of bypassing the thread is valid...because then there’s no controversy.  As you can read, there were members that thanked me for posting this...They liked the thread.  This won’t be an enjoyable site if a few try to control what is posted.  

And I am proud to say I’ve NEVER told someone what they can post or not post.

Ok, that’s good of you James but you still wrote:

”Well, he’s one illegal alien who won’t have to worry about being deported. He’s even going to get free housing for the next 70 years or so.”

in this thread and another member wrote:

”Some states might resume putting people to death soon”

which may be seen as at least semi-political comments!

And there is the danger with threads like this on a site dedicated for autographs. I have no problem with those comments in another type of forum and I personally think the murderer should get the worst possible punishment, but this isn’t IMO the place to discuss that!

I have always enjoyed our discussion about U2 graphs James, but threads about topics that have NOTHING to do about autographs tends to take a turn for the worse. 

And you can’t be serious when you compare this thread with the ones you’ve started earlier about Cheers and Solo/Star Wars. These threads were about celebrities that we admire and often have/want autographs of, this thread is something completly different and as said earlier has nothing to do with autographs...

But I agree with Innuendo, this is up to Steve to decide. I just think he has enough to do with controlling the autograph threads, without the extra work threads like these will lead too...

Cogo, I’m not planning on another RIP post for a non-celebrity.  So you’re okay with an occasional post about a movie or TV show?  That should normally result in a lighthearted conversation.

Yes, I am! But I prefer threads about autographs... ;-)

Cool. :0)  And btw, I’m so glad I FINALLY got my Bono autograph.  U2 is one of my top 5 favorite music artists ever so it was kind of crazy for me not to have something of U2.

well, whoops i just rip'd john mccain! His sig will hold value 100 years from now cause his unique sacrifice for americans

After all of this, the movie, Anchorman, popped into my head.  I think it was Will Ferrell who said, “Well, that certainly escalated quickly.”  

Gentlemen, I couldn't help but read the post and the responses as it's pretty active right now so forgive me for cutting in. I just thought I'd say I understand both sides. On one hand, the title of this site suggests its purpose- autographs. On the other, mourning the loss of another soul (famous or not) is an act of human kindness. So might I suggest letting Steve decide what is suited for future posts here? Has anyone reached out to him for his thoughts on it yet? It's his site, maybe it's best to just let him settle the topic so we all know what is preferred for posting. It's a lovely evening, fellas. And this is a great site. Let's try to keep the mutual respect we all have for each other and keep it positive. Just my two cents.

Innuendo, glad you chimed in.  I specifically asked Steve if it was okay to post non-political discussions, and he said yes...in Town Square.  I know I wasn’t the first to post a non-autograph discussion.  And I’m not planning to post another RIP discussion about a non-celebrity.  I would just like to at least have the freedom to once in awhile post about movies or TV shows...something in that realm, generally things of a light-hearted nature.  I think it would be a nice change of pace occasionally.  I’m NOT talking about things like that covered in this discussion.  But what has transpired in this thread has been really ridiculous, and disrespectful to me particularly from one member, and there was no need for it.

Until now, I thought that we shouldn't have discussions that weren't about autographs or celebrity experiences. But many of us are friends who only meet here. This discussion made me realize that being able to talk about the occasional topic that isn't autograph-related would be nice.

We could set up a separate forum for them, but I don't want to encourage them and have our activity feed filled with them. I'll think about how to handle them going forward.

You say that since ”The title is clear” we don’t have to read the thread to know what it is about.

Since I’m from Sweden I had no clue who Mollie Tibbetts were, so I beg to differ about that statement. You know that there are AML members that don’t live in the US and because of that may have missed this tragedy, right?

Sorry, I just fail to see why anyone would want to come to an autograph site to discuss other things than autographs... But Steve is the boss and he does a great job running this place so I’m sure whatever he decides will be just fine!

Bye!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service