We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Rock and Roll Collection Concerns [Title revised by moderator]

I see this site brought up a lot on this site for autograph references.

http://www.rockandrollcollection.com/

problem is, who ever this Stephan is he has a load of forgeries up here too. I get messages from people from time to time saying he has offered to sell a member here an item or two and it is never the real stuff imo, it is usually the fake stuff. Greed. He wants money but doesn't want to part with the good stuff.

Eagles are his most famous work. Attached is a screen shot of his fake work (not limited too). Notice how they are the same..... duh. If you look through his stuff he has loads of fake Zeppelin, Beatles, Springsteen, Stones, Floyd and more. Even the so called authentic Traveling Wilbury's is not real. Maybe the George and Petty are ok but 100% not the Lynne and I'm pretty sure the Dylan is bogus also. Anyway, I don't wish to debat about this guy and his ethics but if you are using him a reference be careful and I wouldn't buy anything from the guy either.

Views: 28664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I once had the opportunity to spend a day with an autograph authenticator. He had databases filled with thousands on known in person signatures. Most, in my opinion, would not pass today's TPA services. So much depends on the circumstances and variables at the moment of signing. Collecting in person signatures is an honor and most people never get the opportunity of get that close to a celebrity.

I do not even collect music autographs but the same rules apply to my genre. Everyone benefits with accurate knowledge.

Stephen I believe you are an honest person. Saying you would just forge an album, photo or guitar you couldn't get signed is ridiculous. When you say you saw something signed right in front of you, I believe you. Even if beyond rushed. My question is, do you have TTM in your collection? Or other pieces that you believe to be authentic that may not be signed right in front of you. The items you sold you offer a refund on, so that says a lot too.

Stephen, it is not a matter of an autograph being sloppy, its a matter of autographs that don't match known exemplars of authentic signatures from any time period.  There is nothing sloppy about the Harrison Ford, Paul McCartney, Don Henley, Nimoy or Roger Waters signatures, they just don't match and some aren't even close.  Unless you have exact proof of these autographs being signed, there is no way they can be accepted as genuine.

You say that you don't sell autographs to pay your bills, but a few days ago you stated that you sold some of your autographs to pay the $12,000 bill to update your website.  So which is it?

You are correct, if you did not sell any of your autographs, no one would care.  Because you have sold and are currently offering autographs for sale, this has all been brought to light.

Hi Stephen, I don't really know you but Im willing to take your word if you would just answer my simple question. Did you obtain all the Eagles autographs in person and had them signed right in front of you? I have looked and marveled and admired that collection for years and am a true fan of it. Its no disgrace if somebody sold you some and they might not be authentic.I can see all the work you have put into this and have read many times how tough these guys can be to sign. I actually think Frey can be tougher than Henley though everybody always talks about him. Im sorry this whole thing has come out but maybe like you have already said something positive can come out of this.

Mike,

Stephen said right off that he was selling some autographs to pay for the redo of his website.

You said that no one would care if he wasn't selling any of his autographs. I would. His site is used as a reference for IP collecting examples. I needs to be as reliable as reasonably possible.

I know, I'm reminding him because he keeps going back to the point that he doesn't sell his autographs... It's simply not true.

He said: "My website is for pure pleasure and not for any profit. It does not pay my mortgage, nor buys me a tank of gas, or even a stick of gum."

It buys him a $12,000 website, but not a stick of gum?  That statement is not accurate.  You can buy a lot of gum for $12,000 and he is selling his autographs.

I agree with you, I should rephrase, as folks are using his website for reference, it needs to be as accurate as possible.  I would recommend that folks stop using any of his images as references until this matter is resolved.

One thing Stephen explained to me, (which perhaps he may convey here again) is that to him, there's a difference between what is on his website and what is not.  Once an item is selected to go on the site, in other words, gains entrance into the museum, its not for sale ever.  However, as he has indicated, he has an extraordinary inventory behind the website.  As a general matter he does not sell.  But if he has a need/want to sell, it will be an item not in the museum/ on the website.  His claim that nothing on the website is for sale ever, is, to my knowledge absolutely true. And I find this explanation perfectly acceptable.

This is what scares me, if he has thousands of pieces not on the site that are for sale, people that have total faith in the "museum" will be using the site to match up against pieces he does offer. 

I see your point, and as I buyer of these, I've been through all this with him.  Just my opinion, but important to understand that there are not thousands of pieces for sale.  There are very few.  As he stated in a recent post, I think he's released maybe 15 total.  And since it led to this, he wishes he hadn't even done that.  My guess is, with the exception of any transactions that may be in process, as of now, there are none.  I think it would be a mistake, or let's just say disingenuous, for anyone to suggest that this conversation is some type of public service to protect the inexperienced, innocent buying public.  This discussion may be many things, but it is not that. 

Christopher. The Eagle pieces that failed PSA were they authenticated by Roger?

Yes.  All three. 

Here's a link to the web version of the cover story we did on Stephen in June 2010. The print version probably has more images and information:

http://autographmagazine.com/is-stephen-duncan-the-ultimate-rock-an...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service