We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I have been collecting Star Wars autographs since 1998.  Not all of my signatures are on Star Wars memorabilia.  For example, when I met Warwick Davis at a comic convention in New York City, I had him sign a Willow photograph.  I also have publicity photos of Sir Alec Guinness and Christopher Lee from the 1970s, and a Natalie Portman signed The Diary of Anne Frank theater poster from her performance on Broadway back in 1998.  My current wish list includes Peter Cushing, Terence Stamp and John Williams.  I am interested in knowing about the collections and wish lists of other members.

Views: 87892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alteration of what? The signature? Nothing was altered, an inscription was just removed. There are plenty of Frank Oz signatures out there that are unpersonalized, he only started personalizing later on. I don't consider it a staple of his signature, I'm not sure anyone would.

Unpersonalized items are worth more, it looks cleaner, the marker wasn't great to begin with so less ink in this case looks better IMO. Plus I had to get it signed twice since the first time he signed right through the SW logo, so I had that entire signature removed.

I also had Carrie Fisher's "Mrs. Han Solo" inscription removed because it was stupid and didn't fit the era of the poster. Again, I believe removing that increased the value.

Oh, come on. You had probably half the writing removed and you say it wasn't altered? Please.

It my be an accepted practice now, but time will tell. 

By definition, a signature is not altered by removing the dedication. Signature is a signature. It has been an accepted practice since autograph collecting started. When done professionally, there is no way to tell it was ever there.

Here is the poster before restoration, I believe the restoration greatly increased the aesthetics and the value about 2-3x. If you would have rather owned the original, you are one in a million.

I have a $$$$ CD gatefold by a Rock God. It has a very slight smudge from the signing that could easily be removed/adjusted with a gentle swipe with Q-tip with alcohol, thus enhancing incredibly the eye appeal and thus the value. Is this acceptable, if wholesale inscription removal is?  Which should be mentioned in the sale description? Why?

You can mention it for full disclosure, but if it's going to increase the value and appeal - why not do it? Especially if it is done by a well respected professional company. I would have zero issues with that purchase.

I would avoid an altered screwed with piece like the plague. Increase the value to who? Not me. Are we collecting quality or reselling?

Most people collect based on aesthetics and value and avoid smudged autographs like the plague.

If you can completely remove a very slight smudge and it looks completely natural and doesn't leave a ghost on the surface, including under blacklight, I don't think it needs to be disclosed. 

If it leaves a ghost on the surface or it doesn't look completely natural, then I think it definitely should be disclosed.

For me, that would be the same for the removal of personalization. Any ghost, even under blacklight, or surface refinishing, then I think it should be disclosed.

I agree, Steve.

Absolutely awesome, Mike! Personally, having an inscription removed, if done well, does not hurt value on bit and could very well enhance it's value. A minor consideration.

Thanks Joe! I think so too.

"When done professionally, there is no way to tell it was ever there."

Exactly. Maybe I am off, but doesn't/didn't Oz dedicate/inscribe habitually? Why would one want something other/atypical? Are we editors now? Making the item the most saleable? I want as much handwriting as possible. Call me crazy. Or one in a million. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service