We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Wondering your thoughts on this early signature of Joe D. It is on a Spaulding Joe D model baseball. Seller believes it is from 1936–1940 range.

I couldn't find any info on this model ball from the 1930s.

It is singed with a steel point fountain pen in black period ink.

My questions, other than your general thoughts on this ball, are how rare are early Joe D signatures, could it be confirmed that this is from the 1930s, and what is the long-term investment potential on something like this?

Appreciate any feedback. I would like to purchase this ball, but wanted to run it through this site first. Thanks

Tags: DiMaggio, Joe

Views: 355

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is not a 30's Dimaggio style, its too flamboyant.  Also be careful, make sure that really is hand signed.

Thanks, I think I'm going to pass. I don't know enough about Joe D's signatures to make that kind of investment.

I remember reading abut someone in this group wrote a book about vintage autograph exemplars, but can't remember who/what it was.

Guess I need to keep researching on vintage balls, etc.

The ball looks cleaned. Chemically. Causing the manufacturer stamp and signature to fade.

+1

Ya know, I was thinking that as well. But I have no idea on how baseballs are cleaned or how to tell. I always wonder when I see a ball from the 1920s and 30s and it is snow white, yet the stamping is fading.

Personally, I like an old ball to look old. Nice consistent cream color.

Where does one go to research the methods of the unscrupulous people who doctor balls? (other than Google)

It's more common than you think. I've seen some single signed Ruth baseballs go for tremendous amounts that were the color of freshly fallen snow. Like powder. They weren't produced in that color and yet 70 to 90 years later, here they are, minty fresh!

Same thing with all the snow white 1914/1915 Crackerjack cards that started showing up about 15 years ago. These cards were inserted into crackerjack boxes and until a short time ago, they were almost never seen without stains. Darkened areas mottling the very thin cream colored card stock, cream-colored being the operative word. Because in the past decade, they've been showing up in slabs graded 9 mint. Snow white cards that were originally printed on cream to yellow paper stock!

There's been plenty of other finds as well of cards showing up with snowy whites and brilliant colors that had production runs with colors far less brilliant.

The snow white Ruth signed baseballs are just another one of these "fantasy piece" genres. Much like the 1927 "Ruth" ring, IMO.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service