We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, My dad went to work , age 15 at The Imperial Hotel, Torquay , England, summer of 1963.

The Beatles only concert appearance in the seaside town of Torquay and they performed at the Princess Theatre.

My dad served the Beatles in the restaurant and chatted quite a lot with them.He told me that he took a menu from the restaurant and later , after work, went to their  hotel rooms, knocked on the doors and they all signed the menu for him. He told me that John and Paul were in one room and Ringo and George in adjoining room. There was no security, he was invited into their rooms, chatted an then left with the menu.

My dad has since passed and I am wondering what the value of this original dated menu  would be worth if I was to sell this.

Thanks

Julie

Views: 2506

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes, my mistake as i meant 80%

I like the signatures, but agree that estimating its value is a bit tough. Heritage offered a signed menu from 8/10 in better condition and with a low estimate of $9,600, but it didn't sell.

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Realising there is so much more about valuing.

I also like the signatures. The issues that I see that will affect the price is the overall contrast. It's difficult to "clearly" see the signatures as they signed over the printing. There is some foxing or age stains to the paper and it looks like the pen skipped when John was signing. If autograph book pages are selling between $5000 and $8000 depending on signature clarity I would think this set could make in the lower end of that scale. The signatures look large so that is a plus. You might get a bit more if you wait for the right buyer but a quick sale might net $5k.

Thank you for your comments, they were very interesting.

I had no idea about contrast , foxing , stains and pen skipping.

I like it. I agree with Fab432 that it probably would sell pretty quickly at $5,000. I think you could get $6,000+ if you aren't in a rush.

Thank you for your comments I am realising there is so much more to valuing them than I thought.

We have done no restoration to the menu, others have said this may be useful, but not sure it the right way for me.

Do you know the best places to advertise for sale, some have mention auction rooms.

I have no idea how to sell this and what I would need to do

Thanks Julie

The signatures are fine...

It is nice that they signed the Dinner Menu and not the Luncheon Menu. The Luncheon, the front that took the years, also appears to have some moderate water stains in addition to the age and foxing. The stain (left edge) on the Obverse/Luncheon also is distracting from the overall eye appeal - this looks like the exposed side over all the years.

It seems the 2 most valued names have the largest problems. Harrison has the worst of the contrast difficulties, and the Lennon is missing perhaps 20% of the signature from pen skipping.

On the other hand, this menu is like more physically sound than an album page. The text is causing some of the contrast problems, but the Menu also provides some added texture than a simple album page (I have no equation valuing for that!). Obviously, bold sigs on white paper would be preferred, but that is often an ideal. I think if only one thing could be changed here it would be the Harrison placement. 

This might be a good candidate for some (less than vealous) proper stain removal/surface cleaning? Nothing more. But a little bump in eye appeal can go so very far in some cases. One the turquoise is not fighting with those stains so much, the ink might not be so overwhelmed. George will still be "lost" but overall...

That was "less than zealous" ;)

But I think this could really do well with just a bit of conservative and selective mild mitigation of the stains and surfaces. A total return to white would be highly undesirable. The most effective coin cleaning is never noticed and carried out only where truly useful - often a point or less uptick.  

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Who, where and how would I go about sending to someone for stain removing/ cleaning?

Is this worth doing or selling as seen?

I had no ideas about the overall eye appeal, it is very interesting, thanks

I think it’s worth $6000-$8000. Although, as others have pointed out it has it’s faults it also has it’s merits.

I think that they are great signatures and on an item that almost tells it’s own story.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service