We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Authenticators... How can anyone say who is good and who isn't?

Hey guys, thank you for allowing me into the group. I do have some frustrations to express and I see it all as good honest chat, so please no one take offence as none is meant, lol. 

I have been reading some of the posts in there and it seems like people like to slam some but not others. I see, Morales, Drew Max for example are some who seem to take alot of hits, yet I have seen a lot of issues with PSA/DNA as well.... At the end of the day, its strictly an opinion and nothing more..... I have several HUGE autographs, some of which I know are authentic just by the source they came from. 

I have a Shoeless Joe Jackson ball that would have been signed after his playing days (and no, not by his wife, but the ball was signed by himself) but it came from a very close family relative who personally had it signed back in the day and it sat in their house for decades, it doesn't get any more genuine than that, yet when I posted a picture of it, people were quick to slam it because apparently they know it all... or do they? 

Unfortunately, this industry has taken a pounding because of the a-holes who have mad a business of screwing people, I get that... but everyone also thinks they are an expert, and in some cases, people really have no clue. 

As a 15 year old, I was a purchaser for several card stores here in Ontario Canada, I know Hockey Cards better than most.... I wanted to see how Beckett would rank their grading compared to my own education.... I brought it to them at a huge show we have here in Toronto 2 times a year.... they said at the time that the card should be ranked a 5 out of 10. I agreed.... 3 weeks later, their apparent "Hockey Expert" sent it back to me as a 2.5.... now, I didn't knock him out like I wanted too, lol. But I did approach them at the next show, they were embarrassed and asked me to resubmit it, it still came back less, I called them to ask.... they had no idea.... its now going back for a 3rd time.... and these are professionals who advertise as being so.... 

Now, getting back onto autographs, when I didn't tell people the story behind it, they said it was a fake, then when I said the story behind it, their opinions started to change..... so, at the end of the day... who is right and who isn't? 

I do think that they try their best to get it right, but who will ever be 100%, not going to happen. People talk about the bad situations with Morales and Max, but I am willing to bet, they have gotten it right WAY more than not and they probably have the same winning % as PSA/DNA in the long run.... 

I usually don't comment on things but I do believe that in the end, if your gut tells you its good, then your most of the time going to be bang on... and no one should let that take the fun of collecting away from things. Be careful, educate yourself and make the best decision possible. I don't think guys like Max and Morales are any worse than the others to be totally honest and I have been collecting for MANY Years.... and lets not forget, people can very easily post things online that can seriously effect someones reputation and if you do your homework as suggested... it seems all of them have negative feeds posted on them.... 

Just my thoughts guys, again, not looking to insult anyone, but I think some posts can be a bit much.... 

Views: 2839

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And your still an idiot...

This is...post that letter when you can. This is fruitless, to be kind.

Whose "back is up" now?

Eric

i think at this point the best thing to do is leave this conversation. My attempts to ask questions about valid Authenticators has gone to people wanting to question my morals and values... I appreciate everyone's time and take care
Mark,

You'll be suspended next time you resort to name calling.

Authenticators are unfortunately a necessary evil, a creation of the fact that there are a large amount of forgeries out there. Every authenticator you named is definitely knowledgeable in some way, but business practices are the key in determining which one is the most reliable. A few will put a sticker on any item that comes their way. Most will do a decent amount of due diligence to ensure they have a decent enough basis to claim an item as "authentic." Few will go above and beyond to determine a rock solid history of the item or other provenance to ensure authenticity. Whether these authenticators are "good" is derived from public sentiment. You would be oblivious to not notice that specific authenticators command a premium against others. At this point in time these authenticators are considered the most reliable, often due to having knowledgeable collectors agree with their sentiment, and again, having the trust of the public for the time being. Can these views towards specific authenticators change? Absolutely, but then that is their problem and they are more or likely to be shunned.

As for your Joe Jackson baseball, you're still dreaming :) 

Are there any markings on this ball or have them been completely scuffed away?

Someone scribbled "Joe Jackson" over it in black marker last week.. not sure if those are the markings you are looking for. 

Again, you know nothing about the history of the ball so your comments are out of line and were never asked for.... Cheers
Neither do you apparently. Why are you so defensive about this ball after you've stated 3 times that you don't care about anyone else's opinion? You're being very hypocritical.

There are a number of members here that I respect and would value their opinion more than any third party authenticator. Why? Because they have a passion for this hobby and it's not about the money. The world may value the COA more than the signature in today's marketplace but, as for me, I'd rather know the truth. Still, unless it was gotten in person it all comes down to opinions. Stories can add an interesting twist but should not be necessary if the autograph can stand on it's own merits.

I share that opinion but an autograph I have from my family member was criticized..... Which make this site that less credible.... Take care

Mark I do not believe you have any idea what this site is about.  you came on here making statements about authenticators that are absolutely baseless, indicating that it is a subject that you know little about.  This site has several contributors that have spent years exposing forgers and forgeries.  They are not experts on everything, but each one brings their own area of expertise, and many collectors trust their opinions over those of ANY TPA out there on certain signatures. 

When you mention Drew Max, perhaps you should read this first:

http://pix11.com/2014/11/20/nj-prosecutor-used-false-document-to-se...

he is a clown.  there are several others out there that fall into the same category.

it has nothing to do with anyone bashing anyone else. it is based on fact.  intelligent collectors look at the crap that Morales, Max, GFA and several others "authenticate" and draw their own conclusions.  the end result is if you have an authentic mantle ball that by some chance has been passed by all of the above mentioned TPA's, the Morales and Max would command significantly less money because of their well deserved reputation.

you may think, after reading this, that I am a fan of TPA's.  Well I am not.  Unless it is something I know nothing about (like Space, I would defer to Mr. Zarelli), the sticker on an item means nothing to me.  for that matter, neither does the history, which brings us to your ball.

if you are happy with the ball, and the story, it does not matter what anyone else thinks.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service