We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Battle of the Experts: Grad vs Epperson; Who's the Better Authenticator?

Hi,

I was wondering who I should ask for a quick opinion in deciphering if a signature is authentic or not.  So, here is my choices, Steve Grad of Beckett Authentications or Roger Epperson of JSA Spence.  Who's better for rock signatures?

Tags: Authentications, Beckett, Epperson, Grad, Jim, Spence

Views: 2614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Big thank you Whuffman.  

Roger Epperson is the best for music autographs without a doubt.

Big thank you Bono.  

Here is the good thing about Roger. He specializes in music. When you get an opinion from Roger you know he personally looked at it. Steve Grad has good credentials and I'm sure he is very good at a number of autographs but when you submit a signature to Bickett there is no guarantee he actually looked at it.

That is the drawback with big TPA companies. They don't reveal exactly who is doing the authentication. It could be Steve or it could be their latest new hire. Who knows? 

And when TPAs gets it wrong they rarely admit to their mistakes or have any real accountability for their opinions. Quick opinions are a real crapshoot.

Very clever analogy Joe and thank you.  So you don't think going with the "quick opinion" from places say PSA or James Spence is good.   Same with Autograph COA and Beckett?  I have paid the $15.00 for Roger's expertise and found he's really good but expensive compaired to the traditional $10.00 for the companies I mentioned above.

Nicholas, on rock musicians I would only quick opinion Roger. As for any other TPA service I would only quick opinion from them if my plan was to submit my item to them because they deduct the $10 off a full authentication which is what I would want anyway.

My course of action is to ask people I trust first. Then decide to take something to the next level of a full authentication or not. Personally, I am planning on using AutographCOA primarily with Bickett as my second choice. I like the process ACOA is developing.

I have found that quick opinions work well when dealing with Roger or some other individual person who specializes in specific genres or signers. For instance, Phil Sears on Walt Disney.

Very good Joe.  I have also used Roger's "quick opinion" in the past to decipher real or fake signatures on the items I'm interested in.

Roger's personal catalog is strictly music people, so my vote goes to him

Very good Steve thank you.

Roger without a doubt.

Thank you A.B.

I agree with the other members.  Roger Epperson.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service