We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, is this real please? 

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If these contracts above are secretarial and Michael's 1942, shown below, is authentic we have two secretarially signed contracts and a third at bottom with another style from 1953 which appears to have elements of his later signatures but also not many elements from what has been called authentic (Michael's 1942). 

1953 (Hakes):

Here is a certified JSA example from member and vintage collector David Lewis:

It has elements of more than one style in this discussion.

And here is another contract from Bonhams - "Typed Document Signed ("Cary Grant"), 2 pp, dated October 23, 1946, between Grant and Famous Artists Corporation, for the use of Grant's services as an actor on the "Academy Award® Theatre" radio program on October 30, 1946, for the amount of $3500.00."

Sorry Eddy and Eric to reopen this can of worms. I have tried to reply/compose private messages to people but there must be a problem with people getting messages from my account (or people are ignoring me) :) 

I’ve found another picture and just wondering if this is the same hand? if it is would it change anything about it being secretarial? 

Here is the website it originally came from

http://natedsanders.com/cary_grant_11___x_14___signed_photo__with_b...

Hi Minnie :-)

I sent you a message too. There is a widespread problem with messages right now - many folks are experiencing this. No one is ignoring you ;)

I have not had the time to make further sense of all the added contract signatures, I am sorry.  The few things that seem to match Michael's 1942 also appear to have characteristics of what has been called secretarial, and some of those are on documents. Most Exemplars online are later signatures as well which is not helping.

If what was posted earlier is true regarding the OP and the slabbed being secretarials (no one posted a secretarial per se or what indicates one/them or why), then PSA Facts, RR etc. have several early styles including secretarials and the later (usually black felt tip) as well. I expect there are several secretarial styles and probably a few authentic styles from this period (C. 1940). Contracts and documents are usually what one looks at as well as checks (I did not see any) and the like but that has been confusing so far, to me anyway, as they differ from Michael's 1942. I sent you a link (below) which shows 2 more secretarial styles that are unlike what we have been looking at:

Cary Grant @ Is It Real?

What we need is more information. I wish I could help you more. 

Hi Eric, yes I got your message and replied :)  I don’t think anyone is getting any messages I send or reply to, I don’t get email notifications anymore either. Thank you for the detailed reply. I think I’m just clutching at straws with this one now and I need to just let it go until something else comes along . Thanks again for the reply  

The only consistency I see are the contract signatures and just a few others posted here, which "should not " be secretarial.

Minnie - 

We're definitely not connecting via messaging with the current problems in the system.

I'd agree with that it probably is for the best to let these particular portraits go.  There is no question that the pose is great and it would be wonderful to have one of these that was authentically signed.  As you say, something will come along that we can more definitively get behind.....of that I'm fairly certain!

p.s.  I had kind of given up on getting a vintage signed Grant photo.  And then I just stumbled upon that joint signed Hitchcock piece w/ he and Ingrid Bergman that I showed you at one point.  These things do happen!

Hi Eddy,

I don't think many are getting PM's. Steve is aware. What information can you share or show that indicates what signifies a Grant secretarial from the later 1930's to the mid 1940's? That information could then be correlated with the signed documents and contracts. Can you show the Grant/Bergman you mentioned? We have a Notorious contract in the documents thread so it would be useful to see.

I'd rather not post the Grant/Bergman at this time.  It's actually waiting for possible inclusion in a larger visual Hitchcock project that I've been collaborating on.  Grant is one of the most elusive ones to find in anything Hitchcock themed.

I'll try to peak into my old exemplar file and try to do a post of some Grant candidates that I'd be more comfortable supporting.

Thank you. I would also be interested your opinions on the document and contract signatures in the other thread.

The reason I ask is because these Grant threads need more information as has been noted and you indicated that you can tell secretarial from authentic by doing so. I would just ask you to say or show how? What should Minnie and others be looking for with regard to secretarials? If it were Gleason I could write pages (and have). 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service