We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I want to word this as senitive as possible, with the year 2016 becoming one of the major years of shock of loss. David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Gene Wilder..Etc.

Today we learned of the passing of Carrie Fisher and sadly as the years go on we will continue to lose more of the people we admirer.

With that loss we see both the initial skyrocketed prices and those buyers quick to own something touched or signed by that person: A connection.

Those people who sell are thought of (by some) as profitting off of the death. Do you believe this is fair? The demand is obviously there, people who waited and missed out before they passed, so is it fair to blame the dealer?

I am personally mixed, I like to think of the collecting universe, as a place where people only buy or obtain those they care about, but this is of course the real world and for many it is a buisness.

What are your opinions on this strike when the iron is hot mentallity?

Views: 1249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think David Bowie would be truly tickled and very pleased to see folks making money with his scribblings. His first canvas brought $250 at auction in 1990 - he'd be amazed at what his own autograph brings now. He'd laugh and tell us to buy food and important things for our families instead.

I can't be the only person asked several times in here "who still cheap that I should stock up on" for just these events? I don't know. No opinion really. Well, one - prices usually come back down to earth. I'd wait. Others know more.

Have you seen a few dealers , Adam posting Carrie Fisher for sale, im over the riff raff, there will be a very small number of companies im going to deal with , not ebayers.
Yeah, but it seems to be the norm anyways. It is (to me imo) not as bad as the attitude a few dealers seem to have. I read one dealers comments to another about a signed Yoko Ono album.

The one said you might want to hold off because they heard she wasn't doing well, the one selling said the price goes up if there is no pulse...

Now I appreciate dark humour. However since this is a business and the norm after someone dies, it plays very insensitive and cold. I collect those I have a fondness for, those who sell as a dealer (not to group all in) seem to be in ir strictly for the money and death and a deadpool seem to be part of the game.

it has always bothered me and will continue to bother me.  The fact that the person is deceased immediately limits the collectible (autograph).  Why not wait until they are at least buried?  I see it as cold opportunism.

It's a two way street. Personally, I think any dealer who already has items be offered should NOT raise their price. Poor taste. But, it is the marketplace that drives the price. When buyer interest rises so does the price. The same thing happens with all related items of the recently deceased. The bottom line is no one is forced to pay any amount unless they are willing.

the funny thing is when  i have stuff for sale knowbody wants too buy them but as soon as they die they want to buy them and they want them at the old price,why didnt they buy them before .then they bitch when i want more.well  i went out to get themto sign 

sometime waiting days weeks had to store the crap for years and now u want a break

I've never liked the whole selling/buying of autographs as a business...but if somebody is going to do it...I don't fault them for trying to strike while the iron is hot.

Hell, I remember about 8 years ago, Carrie Fisher was at Comic Con selling her autograph for $35. So...if she wants to profit doing it, I can't fault others. Is it in bad taste? Sure. But so what.

I am not placing blame on either the buyer or seller. The demand is there, so a business exists. I might take issue with some of the tactics to make a buck or two, but that is neither here nor there.

However I can only equate the selling of the autograph of a recently deceased as if someone were to put a life insurance policy out on you and was simply waiting for you to die to cash in.

However it isn't like funeral homes are in the charity business, so what do I know?
To me its all about the attitude behind the sale!
I think that is my only problem with it really. The hoarding of pieces, just so when that person dies they have multiples to sell. I guess it also bugs me that some dealers don't even care for the hobby itself, that they aren't collectors and our just in it for the profit.

As I said. I know it is a business, but I have made friendships and better deals buying from other fans and collectors because of the common love of the artist.
I can agree to that.

like a bunch as celeberties have said they have a price tag on them.

basicly getting autographes for a living is like begging for money.

but rember how many skid row debbie gibson and vanillia ice u have and cant sell after all that work.

its a very fickled world

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service