We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I was thinking recently about the amount of fakes that are authenticated by GAI, so I went through my items and located 5 pieces authenticated by them. I looked up the corresponding number on their website (what's left of it anyway) and found that two items aren't even listed. The database shows no item exists. Two of the three items I know are legit as they were from a private Willie Mays signing a few years back and included the Say Hey authentication plus the MLB authentication. The other three I believe are bad. Two are Stan Musial 8x10's and one is Bart Starr 8x10. 

What I find interesting is that you would assume that people who have legitimate authentic photo's used the GAI service. There should be a quantity that are real! But, it appears that almost everything I come across is FAKE! Did they authenticate anything real, or did they have a network set up where they had people produce known forgeries and then they authenticated them? It seems to be the latter. I wish I could remember who I bought these three from and contact them. You wouldn't think they would spend their time on Musial and Starr. Any opinions on this?

Views: 31311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is Rez still waiting outside Ford's Theater?

Zippy...now that was funny!

Actually I've been in Dallas since Nov' of 63. Where is he?

better not let the wife know as she will be really upset.  or is that Debbie?  I'm so confused.

Yes I have been told that by one of the authenticators at JSA and one of the business guys at a show not to long ago. I was also told that they are not allowed to sell on ebay which is also not the case because they do sell on ebay. so Who knows what to believe.

Ok...plain and simple...between GAI and GA....I have personally seen with my own eyes at auction within in about a years time a minimum 100 maximum 200 on fake Yankees autos including Mariano Rivera...Derek Jeter....Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle...Team pieces with Alex Rodriguez and Sebathia...this is what I personally seen...how many more are out there is unknown....but this is what I have seen with my own eyes...I will post any that I come across from now on that is GA...not GAI...frankly...it does not effect me...because I know the difference...the other guys that have no clue are the ones that are getting this bad pieces...and it has nothing to do with bashing or slander or hatred....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mariano-Rivera-Signed-Auto-Autograph-11x14-... is this GA certed with a GAI inscription ?...this is not authentic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARIANO-RIVERA-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPH-YANKEES-JER...

not authentic

Steve Sipe asks;

A quote from DB….

“A TPA actually removed a cert from the database. Of course that could be confused with "why hasn't it been added in" -vs- an inclusion of words - like "This Cert has been recalled" e.g.”

Wouldn’t this have made more sense than just voiding the COA?

The answer from my view if I were going to buy this item would be to 1. check the cert and then 2. see that there is a "recall" notice on the item -vs- it's just not there yet as some recently told me how long it takes to get the cert up on a TPAs base.  There are completely different conclusions that collectors make depending what is or what isn't there.

I hope that is simple enough for you to understand.

and the collectors here are in fact an asset to those who understand and have the wisdom to use transparency for the benefit of the collectors. And that includes a few that post around here as well.

indentations with the threads can become a challenge...

similar challenge.... but nonetheless the points are made with regards to what is a collector going to see when they go to check out an alleged "cert"?   Nothing imo is not the answer.  Or better yet, why isn't there information on the GA site regarding this TN cert forgery creator?  I certainly didn't draw the conclusion of "minor" from Sipe's first post.....

he has correctly stated that he has absolutely no obligation to clean up the mess left behind by GAI.   I believe in Mgmt., that is called opening up the 1st envelope. 

If you pay for PSA/DNA's full Letter Of Authenticity they add a photo of the item to their database.

Here is an item of mine that show up in their database. The Cert number is i96013

Harry, while I can't prove this with evidence it seems to me that unless it becomes a paid for "loa" it doesn't make the pictorial post.  I've seen several I've had from PSA at shows that have never made it while others just have the number, poor description but no picture.

maintaining a reference database takes commitment, costs, expenses and manpower.  Not to mention cooperation for those providing the information.  I don't think it's a conspiracy but rather incompetent implementation of services.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service