We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Has there ever been a nicer, more humble, more fan friendly superstar than Johnny Cash?

Johnny was the Babe Ruth of Country Music—the top-ranking Country artist of all time and the most loved. And Johnny loved his fans as much as they love him. So while like the Babe, Cash signed untold numbers of autographs, the supply could never meet demand...and probably never will.

Fans who couldn't meet Cash in person often requested autographs through the mail. The common belief is that he personally autographed those requests. But between his demanding touring schedule and later, his failing health and vision, it seems impossible that he could have signed even half of the mail he received.

A growing number of collectors and dealers now believe that many if not most Johnny Cash through the mail autographs were secretarial. We want to see if we can identify any secretarial styles, and at the same time build a reference collection of no-question genuine Cash exemplars to help identifying forgeries.

Are There Johnny Cash Secretarials?
If So, How Do We Identify Them?
Help Find Out!

You can be an important part of the study in three ways:

1. Upload into this discussion images of Johnny Cash autographs that you personally received through the mail, and tell us when you received them. (The year is fine, but if you know the date, even better.)
  2. Upload images of Johnny's autographs that YOU saw signed by Johnny yourself. Include the date or at least year, too. If you didn't see it signed yourself (like pre-signed ones sold or given away at shows), please don't upload it.
  3. As more and more images are uploaded, see if you can identify characteristics that are commonly found on Johnny's through the mail autographs that are rarely if ever seen on ones signed in person.

With your help, we can identify Cash secretarials if they're out there. Over time this should increase the value of genuine Johnny Cash autographs, and help protect future fans and collectors against autographs that aren't authentic. 

Once we finish this phase of the study, we'll go on to identifying genuine Johnny Cash autographs from forgeries.

Let's go!

Tags: Johnny, autographs, cash, genuine, mail, secretarial, the, through

Views: 50700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I picked up a Johnny Cash signed album on eBay today for $65. First I ran it past the "quick opinion" services of Roger Epperson as well as PSA/DNA and both came back as "authentic." Seller had it at $100 or best offer. I initially offered $50 and seller countered at $65.

JJ--I had that same auction bookmarked as one that I was considering (because I thought it looked good)...I just didn't care too much for the album cover photo!  Good for you!  Right now I'm hoping to get the same news on my recent purchase, as I just sent it to Roger as well.  Let me know what you think!

Brenda

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Agreed..not the greatest album cover but I thought it was a good opportunity fro the price. 

I'm no authenticity expert..have collected off and on for many years. However I really like the idea that for a nominal fee($15)Roger Epperson  and PSA/DNA($7.49) I can get a "quick opinion" before I purchase anything online.  I feel $22.49 was a pretty cheap investment for "peace of mind" before I made the purchase.  I see there are lots of Cash items on eBay now and I would have to say that a hefty asking price doesn't guarantee authenticity. Years ago I owned one of the "House Of Cash" limited edition signed photos(the one with the purple background) and the HOC letter. Was #'d of 500 or so in pencil on the back. Sold it for a pretty good profit several years ago on eBay and now wish I had held onto it.

Well, Roger says mine is secretarial.  I give up.

Brenda-

Sorry to hear that yours was a secretarial.

Nice thing about eBay is that there seems to be a lot of newly listed  Johnny Cash items showing up and there will be other opportunities and potential bargains out there. Must be the bad economy with the amount of newly listed Cash items.  

Thanks JJ...I'm just so frustrated and gunshy at this point that I'm almost ready to lay out the $750.00 and buy one of Johnny's hand-signed, "Flight," prints, simply because I KNOW it's the real deal.  (Not quite at that point yet, but almost!).  I feel terrible, telling Peggy that the item I bought from her isn't really Johnny's.  In fact, I pretty much feel like a schmuck.

TOO MUCH... He isn't going for more than 400-450 in a good 8x10 .. Don't get bilked...

Sorry to hear about the verdict. I had a feeling. Now, at least, you know. I happened to see the piece on eBay you purchased. There are a lot of genuine Johnny Cash pieces in that price range. I have complete confidence that you could find another piece before Christmas for a lot less than the $750 number.

Brick--feel free to shoot any suggestions my way (if you're bored and surfing and run across something interesting in the $200.00 range).  Thanks!  brendamcleod at zoominternet dot net.

I second!!!!!!

I am not so sure that this is secretarial.  You aught to get more points of view.  The C is nice and fluid...not thinned up...The J is full....I am not so sure this is secretarial although I am not a pro...I do collect over 400 autographs and when I started I got quite a few of these.  Since that time I put up one here that was indeed a secretarial but very readily recognized...This one, I just wouldn't be too sure.. Please...I would encourage you to get it checked by more than a couple flks.. I could be wrong.. These guys here see a lot ...But I know a guy who could give you a good look.. PM me.. ;-)

If I had to make a  guess... the cover does not have the right leaning slant the authentic photos tend to have. It's pretty apparent in the C. Bear in mind, the secretarials tend to be more straight up and down, which this cover is.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service