We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

It is unquestionable that Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, and Joe DiMaggio have been American sports icons since the mid-20th century. It comes as no surprise that these three have been favorites of autograph collectors since the advent of autograph and card shows in the 1980’s. Unfortunately it is equally unsurprising, as attested to in the FBI’s famous 1990s Operation Bullpen, that they are also the three most forged sports autographs. Although most experts believe the forgery problem in sports memorabilia has lessoned tremendously since Operation Bullpen (estimated at that time to be “between $500,000,000 and $900,000,000” by the FBI), sadly large numbers of forged material still exist.

While it would require far more than a single article to educate the autograph collector to detect Mantle, Williams and DiMaggio forgeries, there are some general as well as specific warning keys to these three autographs that may aid in detecting possible forgeries.

Genuine Mantle, Williams & DiMaggio signed photo provided by EAC Gallery.
Click to enlarge:

As a general rule, one of the first things I examine in an autograph is its feel – how it was written. When an individual signs his name there should be an easy, smooth flow to the signature. We’ve all signed our names countless times, and we don’t need to think about it. An item we offered in one of our past auctions was a sheet of paper signed several times by Joe Jackson. Jackson, who was almost completely illiterate, actually had to practice, in essence work at, writing his name prior to signing documents. Likewise, when a forger writes a signature, he or she is working at it and therefore upon close examination it’s often possible to detect such warning keys as a slowness of motion, stops and starts at inappropriate spots, and possibly even a shakiness in the writing. An invaluable aid to help detect these keys, taught to me by John Reznikoff of University Archives many years ago, is to turn the autograph upside down. When you view an autograph in an unnatural position these warning keys are often easier to detect.

In addition to such general warning keys there are specific warning keys, unique to an individual’s autograph, to keep an eye out for.

In the 1980’s and 1990’s Mickey Mantle stated on numerous occasions that he was blessed to be able to earn more money signing his name at one single weekend show than his father had earned in an entire year working as a coal miner. Because of this Mantle always felt his fans were deserving of a clear, elegant signature. In authentic Mickey Mantle autographs Mickey would always end the “y” in “Mickey” on an upswing, and because he would be quickly flowing through his signature, he therefore started the “M” in “Mantle” on a higher level or plane than he had started the “M” in “Mickey”. Most forgers, because they were “working” on writing Mantle’s signature, would pause after completing “Mickey” and begin anew in writing “Mantle”, therefore placing “Mantle” on more of a straight line with “Mickey”. If one places a ruler or sheet of paper straight across the item Mantle signed (not straight across the signature) all that appears below the ruler or paper of an authentic Mantle is the bottom portion of the “M” in “Mickey”. In the case of most forgeries the ruler or paper completely covers the entire signature. Another difficulty forgers have with Mantle’s signature was his unique way of looping the bottom portion of his “M”. Such curved lines were executed in one easy movement by Mantle, but are most often elongated by forgers who again are “working” the signature. Such slow, elongated forgeries are especially easy to recognize on baseballs as their curved surfaces only add to the forger’s difficulty.

In the case of Ted Williams autographs, with the exception of the capital “W” in Williams, Ted would consistently make the size of all the letters in his last time nearly the same exact size. Most telling is the “illia”, with the “l”s just ever so slightly taller than the “i”s, and the “a” as tall as the “l”s. Try as they may, most forgers simply can’t undo years of training and habit causing their “l”s to be significantly taller than their “i”s, and their “a” significantly shorter than their “l”s. Williams also connected the “W” in “Williams” to the “ed” in “Ted” with a swirl that gave forgers difficulty in replicating in the same, easy, flowing movement as appears in authentic examples. Also of interest, in addition to the many Williams intentional forgeries in existence, Williams revealed late in his life that during his playing days his signature on team signed balls was often a “clubhouse” example, not penned by him.

Regarding Joe DiMaggio’s autograph, problems for forgers begin with the first letter in Joe. Like the “M”s in Mantle’s autograph, the “J” in “Joe”, which appears as two loops, a larger loop on top and a smaller one below, were created by curved lines which are the hardest to duplicate without leaving telltale signs of slowness or inappropriate stops and starts. In addition, DiMaggio would pen his “J”s so that the lower loop would be written on top of (literally written over) the upper loop in two places. For some inexplicable reason, a significant percentage of DiMaggio forgeries flow in the opposite direction, with the upper loop covering the lower one. An inexpensive magnifier or jeweler’s loop will aid in viewing this detail. Finally, the general feel of an authentic DiMaggio autograph is often somewhat sloppy, in the sense that the spacing between letters is uneven, obviously much more so in his second name. Again due to the fact that forgers are working rather than simply signing, the spacing they place between each letter is far more uniform.

Finally, the age-old adage “experience is the best teacher” is indeed appropriate here. The building of as extensive a library of exemplars as possible, of both authentic and fake examples, would be of help to visualize these and additional warning keys, and tremendously assist in the detection of forgeries.

Tags: authenticate, baseball, dimaggio, fame, forgeries, forgers, genuine, hall, hof, joe, More…mantle, mickey, of, ted, williams

Views: 75524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be sure to include the following information in your listing:

• A clear photo of the actual autographed item

• A clear photo of the COA or LOA

• Information about the COA or LOA, including the name of the person or company issuing the certificate

are already in place for signed items and have nothing to do with IT as they don't read the listings.  the fraud group are responsible but like all business depts never have enough people.  Thus, if reporting items throw the above into the item report description along with other relevant pieces of information, as applicable.

Proxibid did add to their policy that if you state a COA and do not show it can get pulled.

The seller is nasportsacdemy.

Perhaps it stands for Non Authentic Sports Academy.

Now that's funny.

Well, let me say, I am the one with the auction on ebay. I am the owner of a sports training facility and not an autograph buff by any means. I have collected some things on my own but bought the three baseballs on ebay 5-6 years ago and only chose to sell them to purchase more equipment for the facility. I am sorry if they are not authentic but will work today to have the situation remedied. I listed these items assuming the COAS from Premiere Sports Memorabilia from Los Angeles, CA were true and not just a made up piece of paper. ( the coas are dated 7/20/98 on williams balls and 5/5/1991 on mantle ).  Ill do the best I can to have someone do a temporary authentication by the pic online whether be authentic or not. What can I do, if anything if the balls are not authentic to recover my money from 5 years ago? 

unless the seller is still around absolutely nothing.  even if the seller is still around it could end up in the absolute nothing bucket as 5 years even for an EBAY claim would be an uphill fight.  as far as mantles & williams go the people here are typically right on the authentication mark.

unfortunate matt that you were ripped off and now the sports facility suffers as well.

Thanks for the response. I really never questioned the signature til now. I have a little experience with the younger generation signatures ( Pujols, AROD, Jeter, etc...) but am no pro by any means. I do not have any experience with the older stuff, ( mantle, williams, etc) I bought these baseballs for far more than I am asking for them and now find they are probably fake burns me up. These were displayed in my home for the last few years as my prized baseballs thinking they were authentic. I have paid 15.00 to quick opinion for psa/dna. Im sure the other opinions on here are right but want to see for myself I guess. Im sorry to everyone on here for the waste of time seeing the items. The only thing I would say is to the guy saying " not authentic sports academy", not everyone is out to screw people. I understand that most are, but I am not in any way. You wanna say I have something fake fine, it was by ignorance and not knowing but do not bash my business. I work with kids day in and day out and have sent several to play college ball. So please keep your juvenile comments to yourself, thanks. There was no need in that. Everyone else, thanks for the help as I wouldnt want someone else to experience what I am now.

be careful of asking for a quick opinion on ebay especially if you are the seller of the item.  The rules of engagement are fuzzy but there are some penalties associated with a "seller" asking on his own items being sold if memory serves me right.  There is also a penalty on sellers if quick opinions come back likely not as well.   Last thing u need is someone pouring salt into the wound.

If the seller is still around at least make the effort as who knows..  stranger things have happened.

I removed the items from listing til I get further clarity on the baseballs. This is the first time I have sold memorabilia and it has been a major headache for sure. Is it worth my time even checking to have them authenticated?

That's a decision you will have to make.  Since you have paid for the PSA opinion already - what's done is done.   As for spending more $$ pursuing it the folks here who have ID them are perhaps the equal or (in some celebrities better) than some of the more accepted TPAs.  One reason why they have such "big fan clubs" as you can well imagine.

I used to get "Quick Opinions" on items I was selling on ebay and it was never a problem.   the only penalty if it comes back as "likely not genuine" is they pull the listing.

I agree I have used QO PSA Many times and almost on a weekly basis...I would say its pretty on the money except for it failing 1 I got in person...but even with that blemish I trust there rendered opinions...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service