We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I know she wasn’t a celebrity, but she might have become one.  She may have become an iconic music star or a world famous actress.  She might have become a celebrated author.  Perhaps she would have become a medical doctor or researcher and found a definitive cure for hiv or cancer.  Who knows...maybe she would have become the first female president of the United States!  Or maybe she would have been a really great wife and mother.  If her future was as bright as her smile, she was destined for greatness.  

But neither we nor her devastated, loving family will ever know because 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts’ life was stolen from her by a monster.  What we do know, at least by the accounts of those who knew her well, she was a caring, special young woman who will never be forgotten.  

I thought I would post this because Mollie’s non-famous life was every bit as important as the lives of all the celebrities that we admire.  It’s just heartbreaking that such a young, promising life was taken from the world far too soon.  So Rest In Peace, Mollie Tibbetts.  We are thinking of you.

Views: 1624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

and john mccain too is probably not well know outside the US

I agree with much of your post Tim

however... your last section requires a small explanation from me.

I read it because I had no idea who this person was. Why? Because I don't watch the news. Yes I am one of those people. So I read the intro and then had to Google her name to see who she was. Then it all came together that we were talking about a sensationalized news report of a murdered young female by an illegal immigrant. 

So you see... I had to read and then do some leg work to get a grip on this. 
That in effect made me involved in something I now wish I hadn't. 

But I did comment, and it is what it is now...

Edit... I see Cogo and I are in a similar boat and were writing our replies at the same time. haha

General discussion groups can be a dangerous area that creates a lot of conflicts between members.... a slippery slope if you will

Tim, I might be wrong (Goodcat and Cogo, correct me if I am) but I assume they commented to express their disapproval of the post because they felt it simply didn't belong on this webpage. Not just to be negative or confrontational. If members didn't speak out and question if a topic should or shouldn't be posted here, then the page could go in a totally different direction. I personally don't mind things like this being posted here. It's not my site and I dont have issue with anyone participating in this thread but simply commenting and saying their opposing opinions of this topic being placed on this site is A-OK imo. Having said that, I cant be onboard with anyone outright being nasty to people. I havent read the entire thread yet so I dont know who was really being rude to who, but just as general thought, I see no issue with them commenting against the post and not simply skipping over it because they dont agree with it. I think everyone had valid points so far. I did message steve and ask him to step in here and make his decision. It seems he is giving it some thought. I'd just like to see everyone (on both sides of the fence) be respectful and be able to voice their opinions both for and against. 

Maybe everyone should just take a breather until Steve gives his final word on it? I hate to see good guys getting into fights over it. Seems a bit counterintuitive seeing as everyone here has something in common and has a mutual respect for one another. 

You’re absolutly correct Innuendo!

Both to why I replied in the first place and also when you say that we all should just let Steve handle this!

Tim

And here in your answer lays the debate.

James didn't have to respond to Josh's comment either.

I didn't have to respond.

Bruce and Eric and Cogo and yourself didn't have to comment.

Respect goes both ways. 
So now... who has the right to comment? Are we ONLY supposed to make supportive comments? 

So now we are having a debate on the righteousness of posting. 

In the end.... Last night ended on a peaceful note (some via private messages) and we all remain friends. That's the important aspect to me.

I guess we'll just see what happens from here with other general topic threads.

A most pleasant and correct post by Innuendo.
The great thing about Steve and this place is that he let's members voice their opinions with a lot of wiggle room. And I know people have a lot of respect for Steve in the way he manages this forum.   

Well, I am in support of everyone posting. I see no fault in anyone who has posted here so far and frankly dont understand how this post got so wild. My apologies for commenting (perhaps I shouldnt have) but it was hard to ignore as it quite literally took up the whole activity feed at one point and I figured it wouldnt hurt to step in and try to say some of us understand both sides and both parties opinions and maybe remind everyone that we dont need to be so distracted by things like this and that everyone has a right to voice their opinions (as long as they're respectful) here. I've been suggesting that we all leave this to Steve since yesterday and while catching up on my messages, I couldn't help but notice it was still going. This will be the last time I comment on this thread but I hope my few comments haven't rattled anyones cage. I tend to keep to myself when posts like these pop up (posts that get heated) but this one just seemed to have valid intentions on both sides, and threads like that sometimes end up fighting until Steve or W have to shut them down. Everyone has a right to voice their thoughts on what's posted here, imo. Whether they're for or against. It's an autograph site vs Mourning a tragic loss is human nature. All points are valid. My point was to say, going around in circles doesnt help much. I'll just leave it to Steve. Have a good afternoon, fellas. I'm on grandpa duty today, and the little ones are about ready to enjoy a day at the aquarium. Best

Enjoy your time with your grandkids, Innuendo!

You’re right, Tim.  I too have seen much more heated discussions regarding autographs...and on several occasions.  

I didn’t see your above post until after I completed my post below regarding some things I would like Steve to consider.  I would go ahead and close the discussion; however, I’m not sure Steve generally likes discussions to be closed.  I guess I’ll leave that to him.

While Steve is considering things, I just want to point out that this is the first non-autograph thread that I have personally seen get out-of-hand.  I’ve posted about a movie (Solo: Star Wars), and there was no problem there.  There have been posts in support of our friends overseas who have suffered from terrorist attacks...and there was no problem.  

So this seems to be somewhat of an isolated incident.

However, let me restate that I have no intention of posting anymore “RIP” discussions about non-celebrities.  

What I might like to occasionally post about is movies...or TV shows.  Steve C., if you read this, I hope you’ll be okay with slightly OT subjects like that which may actually end up with people posting autograph pics from characters of these movies and shows.  Occasional discussions about movies and shows should be relatively benign topics.  This might be an occasional nice change of pace.  

I want to stay away from controversial subjects as well, and that is why I earlier mentioned to Steve C. about posting NON-political discussions.

Oh, I forgot to add that after I saw, The Force Awakens, 2 1/2 years ago, I was so thrilled with the movie that I started a post about the movie and about Daisy Ridley, as I was captivated by her performance.  There were several responses, and they were all positive...absolutely no controversy.  I also started a discussion a couple of years ago about The Walking Dead.  It was all good...and completely uncontroversial.

Something we ALL need to be very aware of is that comments can sound like criticism or something else you didn't intend them to be. The same with joking or sarcastic comments.

After I started using email way back in the early 1990s, it didn't take long for me to realize that email was the world's most perfect form of MIScommunication. The same goes in forums, and then some.

Please don't forget this. When I do, a reminder slaps me in the face.

I think it helps the community and its effectiveness for members not to let little things get to them. There are so many negative things that we need to discuss here—I feel terrible whenever I have to tell someone they bought a forgery—that it's easy to get into a negative place.

Online communities, period, are places where people often discuss things in a much more negative way than they would by voice. It's easy to hurt feelings. Sometimes members earn that, but most don't.

Thanks everyone. I feel so fortunate to have this site and so many great members.

+1 We are fortunate as well Steve - really, the whole collecting community. Thanks for your efforts and to this site and all of its members.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service