We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Rolls Royce bonnet signed by Paul McCartney, Bono, Beyoncé, Kanye West, Katy Perry etc.

Hi Everyone,

I bought this Rolls-Royce Coupe bonnet signed at the 2008 EMA awards from MTV last year and was just wondering about the potential value of it if ever I were to sell it in the future? It is contained within a wooden frame with inbuilt lighting and photos of all of the signers signing. I didn't pay a huge amount for it so I'm not expecting thousands and thousands. 

It is signed by (deep breath):

Sir Paul McCartney (signature approx: 35cm (13 inches) long with doodled face)

Bono (with sketch and "I still want my MTV 2008" inscribed) 

Beyoncé

Kelly Rowland 

Solange Knowles

Katy Perry

P!nk ("XOXO" with skating boy sketch)

Kanye West (with broken heart sketch)

Take That (minus Robbie Williams with Take That logos drawn. Gary Barlow adds "Love")

Grace Jones 

The Killers (Brandon Flowers using a sketch of flowers as a surname)

The Sugababes

Kid Rock

Estelle (with sketch of dress she was wearing at the awards)

Craig David

Anastacia (with smiley face)

Perez Hilton ("Drive safely... And in STYLE! XOXO")

Travee McCoy (with graffiti style "Travee")

The Wombats (with sketch of the band, a heart and "Thank you very much + practice safe sex!")

The Rasmus (Lauri Ylonen)

MTV CEO W.H. Roedy (MTV = LOVE AND UNITY LIVERPOOL!!)

Tokio Hotel

Any help would be much appreciated!

All the best,

Ethan 

P.S Sorry about the sizing of the images, it's only my second post and I haven't quite worked it out yet!

Tags: Beyonce, Beyoncé, Bono, Kanye, McCartney, Perry

Views: 3790

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike,

I suspect the person doing the listing is probably still paying off that mistake! I would assume it was supposed to have another zero or two added on?

Unfortunately I fear I don't really have the means to properly store it. The only real protection from light that I have is that I never really open my bedroom curtains! Luckily the humidity isn't too bad here in chilly Britain, but a proper climate-controlled environment my bedroom is not.

My suggestion to you is unless you are particularly in love with this piece and want to keep it forever, strike while the iron is hot. See if you can find a good auction house in the UK to take it on consignment for under 15% commission, and I would sell it.

I'm considering that to be honest. Music is my passion though (my profile picture here is me between Brian May and Tony Iommi which might have given it away) and it's a great item, but I could really do with the money as an 18 year old...

How much would you say it might get at an auction? When I was doing some research earlier today I did see the back seats of a Rolls Royce signed by quite a few stars for MTV sell in 2006 for $25,000 to the Hard Rock Café (link below). Whether this could reach that sort of money I don't know.

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Rolls-Royce_joins_MTV_to_figh...

with this piece, I would go with Sotherbys or Christies-their british divisions do rock auctions-also auto auction which is also a potential way to for you to go since auto collectors are wealthy. But if you go the auto way, go with a high reserve like $50,000. If it doesn't sell a year later go with a rock auction.

There is much more to now when dealing with auction houses so if you actually go this way,  contact me

That's certainly worth thinking about Sling, if and when I've decided I'll definitely give you a message. Thanks for the advice!

Incredible find, but was the shipping cost to the USA?
It must have cost more to ship this than the BIN price?

Luckily for me I live in the UK, where it was already located. They used a fine art transporting company to deliver it, and I suspect that alone must have cost more than £250.

So it was free shipping within the UK? 

Indeed it was, that surprised me in itself. As I said the cost of shipping would have far outweighed the sale price I would have thought?

At the risk of being a massive party pooper just before Christmas I would be a bit cautious about values here.

Clearly the MTV people more or less gave the piece away with that Buy-It-Now price. The charity's loss (which is a big shame) was Ethan's gain (which makes a nice story given his age and the time of year). Maybe this hunk of metal was just taking up too much space at the MTV warehouse or studios and they wanted a quick sale.

Having acknowledged that £250 was a steal, in coming up with a value I think you have to remember that it is something that might be difficult to place, mainly due to what it is (size/weight) but also due to the quality and quantity of the autographs.

As to form:

Any reason why they chose a car bonnet of all things? A very awkward thing to handle and display. I have not got the foggiest idea what Rolls Royce car bonnets sell for normally but I cannot believe anybody would buy this just because they need a new bonnet for their Rolls. If I had a Rolls I wouldn’t want what looks like graffiti on my bonnet and getting all the messy signatures off, or respraying, would be quite a task and an expensive one if done properly.

As to content:

With all due respect to Bono and Beyoncé, Sir Paul is the only really class act here and I’m not sure that the size of his autograph would be that important – does size matter in autographs? I am pretty sure most people could get satisfaction from less than 13 inches, with or without a smiley.

On the whole, multi-signed things tend to fetch less money, particularly if the signers have no relationship with one another. I bought a charity auction signed poster at the ”Intruders At The Palace” event in 1988 (for around £100 I believe). It has the signatures of Bowie, Byrne and many indie-type people like Durutti Column and The Kronos Quartet but I have no illusions that it is worth a lot more than it would be if it was just signed by Bowie, even though these signers were at least all on the same bill – in fact it might be worth less.    

As to value:

I would hazard a guess that it would be worth nearer to Ethan’s original estimate of £2,000 than the figure of $25,000 or more that Steve mentioned. Obviously, it very much depends on sale venue and promotion but unless it was sold at some kind of live charity auction after a very boozy dinner I cannot see it getting into five figures.

Seeing how much the signed sofa went for does make you wonder whether the bonnet could break the $10,000 barrier but it has to be said that the sofa is much more intrinsically valuable (both in its original form and as an expensive sofa conversion) and much more attractive to look at. I presume no one would actually use the sofa unless the autographs have been treated in some way to protect them.

In any event, I am pretty sure that the Hard Rock Café only paid that amount as the money was going to charity.

As to having an eye for a bargain and the right time to sell:

When I was about 12 (44 years ago!) I sent off for a list of film posters that a retired film distributor guy was advertising in Exchange & Mart (a UK classifieds magazine). I ended up buying practically mint copies of the British quads for all the first four Bonds, including the very rare “hand” Goldfinger and even rarer Thunderball 4-panel teaser, the quads for the first two Beatles films (AHDN was really crisp and mint I remember) and the colour lobbies for Let It Be. Each poster was £7 apart from Dr. No which was £8. I got my money back almost immediately by selling the Beatles things for around £20 a piece (also through E&M) but held on to the Bonds until 1998. Unfortunately, I sold them just before they boomed in the early years of the new millennium. I think I got around £3,500 for them from a swanky London dealer, which included a couple of trade items. Now the Dr. No, Goldfinger and Thunderball teaser would together easily bring in £15,000 - £20,000, even after seller’s commission. Although I actually made a massive killing compared to my initial investment, my stomach still churns when I see other examples coming up for auction and making huge money these days. I know it is stupid to dwell on such things, you just have to move on.

In the case of this bonnet I would sell asap. If someone offers anywhere near $25,000 take it with both arms, run and don’t look back. Sir Paul is already massive of course but his signature is not really rare, at least normal size, and I cannot see any of these other people becoming cult figures or massively expensive unless they meet untimely or grizzly deaths.

On that cheerful note, Happy Holidays!

P.S For Eric and other potentially interested parties, here is a link to something on Bowie’s performance back in 88. The signed poster I bought is like the ones behind Bowie and the others as they are being interviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZIR41ZuyU

P.P.S. What do people think that a 10” - 13” Paul would normally make?

+1. I see this as essentially a problem piece. It has no coherency. Very limited audience. Very..unusual. Unevenly signed - mostly all upper right. I don't know, my gut days problem piece. Honestly. Sell A.S.A.P.

La La - I remember watching that liv'88 at about 6 am Net York time with Riyuchi Sakamoito as well (also seen in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence with Bowie)...the Bowie/La La dance was to Look Back in Anger as I recall. I think he was mining to Reeves Gabrels? No?

Party poopers are not only allowed...they're appreciated!

I see the right market for this piece to be car collectors, not necessarily autograph collectors. There are lots of collectors with very nice garages, with millions of dollars worth of cars in them. These garages often have bars in them, TVs, sitting areas...you name it!

And many have art on the wall. But showcase garages are big, so tha art needs to be big to be appreciated. This hood is perfect for this audience.

I think that if Ethan takes the time to sell it, and markets it correctly to the right audience, $25,000 or more is quite possible.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service